OpenMW featured on IGN

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Okulo

Re: OpenMW featured on IGN

Post by Okulo »

Tarius wrote:
raevol wrote:Featured on Pocket Gamer as well: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/ ... sp?c=60793
This is the worst article I have seen. They just unilaterally declared that it doesnt work and implied that the project might not even finish.
I sent them an email (and someone else probably did, too), and it seems they have at least updated the article. Got to appreciate that at least.
raevol

Post by raevol »

HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

What a great way to start off:
Bethesda’s Morrowind might not have been the greatest game of all time, but then again, neither was Dragon Age II.
This has literally nothing to do with anything, it's just trollbait. I don't know how these sites operate, but judging from the lack of quality it looks like they just copy off each other and possibly check the source for a video or screenshot. I had already suggested a "press kit" in another thread. If they want to copy-paste, then they should copy-paste from OpenMW directly. i might have some free time in a few weeks, so if there is interest in compiling such a kit I'd be willing to participate.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Time to update the wiki! Even if more than "haters" it is sounds like "idiots"...
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

@HiPhish: That is the best way to go with a Press Kit, so that the uninitiated will know what this project is all about very quickly. You can't trust bloggers (or for that matter some 'journalists') to be objective. They are there to sell imprints/advertisements like we've already seen in these click-bait web-sites.

@ezze: My wife is a journalist and edito w/ press card, etc., with her fair share at rolling her eyes at the ignorance on bloggers who know just enough to be dangerous. As a result, I have gotten more critical of "citizen journalism". Not all bloggers are this ignorant thankfully, and there are some that do make updates/corrections when asked which restores my faith in humanity somewhat. ;)
ezze

Post by ezze »

I never understand this "losing faith in humanity" thingy. It almost seems people do have some in the first place...
Fortunately, an unexpectedly large part of the humans that form the humanity are quite nice and good. It is so weird that all together become such a disgusting mess...

About the topic, I am not sure how worthwhile is sending email to this guys. But definitely cannot hurt.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

ezze wrote:Time to update the wiki! Even if more than "haters" it is sounds like "idiots"...
That's a pretty short page so far. I haven't heard much hate... bullshit though...? Yeah, I've heard that. eg: "Skywind, for one, is way further along than OpenMW, but I don't want that to dissuade the OpenMW devs. ... Skywind is a rather more ambitious project with a lot more progress."

I had a hearty laugh.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

yeah, i never really understood the need to bad mouth projects... especially ones that are hobbies, done for the fun of it. Even doing a comparison of something like Skywind and OpenMW is ridiculous given their goals. Can't we just like both? I even like what Project Aedra is doing, fantastic work for a lone developer!

@Ezze: There are moments when people do incredibly awesome things that make me proud of humans as a whole. Then there are moments where things go tits up I see how disgustingly awful people can be. At both an individual and on an group level. So yes, I have faith that humanity will adapt, overcome and survive. :)
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

ElderTroll wrote:...Every PR release to such websites should link to Weirdsexy's faq video and the website's faq page.
IMHO, the website faq page should be the first resource. I don't think we should link any new PR to the old faq video. It is visually outdated. In addition, some of the information could stand to be updated or presented better. I might make a more abbreviated FAQ video once OpenMW has matured a bit.