Show item at cursor when dropping from inventory

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Greendogo

Show item at cursor when dropping from inventory

Post by Greendogo »

My request is that when you're placing some item in-world from your inventory it should be rendered in-position when you move the cursor around with the item to make placement easier and more precise. Just use the code that determines how it should be placed when dropped to render it each frame at the cursor before putting it down. You could even make it opaquetransparent to distinguish the item you're holding from items already in the world.

I think this would be simple to implement; it could easily be done pre-1.0.
Last edited by Greendogo on 09 Jun 2014, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Berandas

Re: Show item at cursor when dropping from inventory

Post by Berandas »

This sounds like a reasonable idea, it would definately help the player to clutter his home and stuff like that.
The item should be semi-transparent, so you could see what's behind it, to prevent bleeding objects into each other, since these items have no collision and are placed by the mesh pivot point.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Adding to my 1.1 list.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Being able to place items while moving around in the world would be nice, too. If you've ever played Skyrim with the Frostfall mod, think of how it shows you the location of the tents and campfires and such when you try to place them. Like this (at the 1:50 mark). The mod will even highlight it with different colors depending on certain criteria.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Berandas wrote:*snip*
Oops, meant semi-transparent, not opaque.
Scrawl wrote:*snip*
Glad you like it :D
Markelius

Post by Markelius »

I am seconding this, I would love to have this functionality in the game! Maybe make the wasd controls rotate the objects while placing them too, that would be really great.