Terrible Lag

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
kehtnok

Terrible Lag

Post by kehtnok »

Hey all,

So I just got openmw installed on my arch system, running on an old T61 lenovo. It's an old refurb, but the intel i3 and integrated graphics should be more than enough to handle Morrowind, yet I'm getting game crippling lag. Tried searching through the forums and google and haven't found any immediate solutions so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

I'm fairly certain my openGL and intel card drivers are all up to date having done a system update just a couple days ago so I don't see that being an issue. Perhaps there's a problem running on dual core? I know that can present issues with older games if you don't bind them to a single core.

Anyways just hoping for some ideas, thanks!

- Kehtnok
Greendogo

Re: Terrible Lag

Post by Greendogo »

Try turning all the graphical settings to their lowest setting; I find that the shaders really slow things down on my machine. I don't run a Linux version, so hopefully someone who does will come along and offer more precise advice.
kehtnok

Post by kehtnok »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yea I've already got the shaders off completely, no shadows at all or water reflections etc, the usual heavy computation stuff that bogs down integrated cards. Running it in 1024x768 windowed as well, just to keep things simple (although I did notice if I try full screen with that resolution, the screen is displayed off-center with the lower part of the fram cut-off). I'll keep poking around with the graphics settings though and see if I can find anything.

- Kehtnok
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Are you talking about Morrowind or OpenMW?

Don't confuse the two, as OpenMW takes advantage of and sometimes requires more hardware than what Morrowind required.
kehtnok

Post by kehtnok »

I'm not sure I understand the question, I'm running Morrowind with the OpenMW engine. As the game data is just data, it's the engine's processing of that data which manifests as lag when I play, most likely due to me misconfiguring something I'm sure.

Are the specs for OpenMW that dramatically different then what is needed to run the original Morrowind?
andrano

Post by andrano »

Keep in mind that OpenMW hasn't really been optimized yet, and performance is usually pretty bad for most people (for now).
It would be useful if you could describe the problem a bit better, maybe include your FPS indoor/outdoor to give an idea of the performance?
Tolchock

Post by Tolchock »

I have played OpenMW on a similar setup (i3 processor, Intel HD Graphics), and, with most/all of the visual options turned off, I managed about 15-22 fps outdoors, 40+ indoors. If you are getting similar numbers, I wouldn't expect much better until OpenMW is optimised (most likely after 1.0 is released).
kehtnok

Post by kehtnok »

Thanks again for the speedy replies!

I'm seeing numbers <10 FPS for the most part, Down to 1 or 2 outdoors, and this is with shadows completely off, shaders off, view range min, and running 1024x768 windowed. I could happily live with 15-25 FPS, but what I'm currently getting is crippling to gameplay.
lysol

Post by lysol »

kehtnok wrote:Thanks again for the speedy replies!

I'm seeing numbers <10 FPS for the most part, Down to 1 or 2 outdoors, and this is with shadows completely off, shaders off, view range min, and running 1024x768 windowed. I could happily live with 15-25 FPS, but what I'm currently getting is crippling to gameplay.
I'd say wait until the next OGRE-version is out. It is supposed to be a lot better optimised than the current version, and Ogre is apperently an important bottleneck for OpenMW.