Characters and physics

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Tes96

Re: Characters and physics

Post by Tes96 »

TheOneWhoWatches wrote:For this purpose I think it would be nice to have alternative to TES3 animation system as soon as possible. Like the one that was mentioned here.
Yeah, that SmartBody stuff is pretty awesome. I would like the ability to press a key and initiate a certain animation, whether it be sleeping, sitting, eating, dancing, laughing, clapping, pooping, etc...

The most fucked up things in TESIII are the animations and the AI, in my opinion. Graphics are probably of least importance. When my friend was showing me the TES Online beta a couple months ago, I showed him a video of OpenMW and his response was that the graphics look fine even by today's standards. It's the horrendous animations and AI that make it look primitive and out-of-date.
Physics would be wonderful to have but all in due time. I yearn for the day when Nerevarine's hair doesn't clip into her shoulders or armor.

1. This is probably irrelevant to the topic but maybe not; with OpenMW, will characters and creatures actual be touching the ground in-game? Because all NPCs and creatures, if you pan the camera way down, are floating rather high off the ground. I assume this has been brought up before.
MacKom

Post by MacKom »

TheOneWhoWatches wrote:I think it would be nice to watch how Skyrim body mods evolve and port one that is used the most. There's two advantages here: most people prefer this body (so there won't be many competitors) and there will be many clothing/armor mods to choose from.
While it would be nice to have more armor options for porting, I think that`s just it - porting. Again, I can`t pick and choose what other modders will make, that would be a really, really douchy thing to do (not to mention, completely impossible). But, if you look at most Skyrim armors, they are eather Skyrim mesh mashups, Witcher mesh mashups or Poser/Daz 3D ports. Witcher mashups/armors are fine (as CDP does allow asset porting), but Skyrim models and other armors not made from scratch will be an issue.

As for most popular Skyrim body replacers...yea. They have a crazy poly count. Like...crazy. You could pull off 3 body replacers from one. I really don`t think that would be a good solution.

And speaking of personal preferences, the anatomy on those is...fantastical. Very fantastical, even. :mrgreen:
Tolchock

Post by Tolchock »

MacKom wrote: And speaking of personal preferences, the anatomy on those is...fantastical. Very fantastical, even. :mrgreen:
Seconded. I have not been able to find a Skyrim body replacer which I prefer to vanilla. Then again, I have the unfortunate luck of being a straight female... I would happily use something like Mackom's sculpt, however.

I think there are many more pressing concerns for OpenMW and its character and physics system than the size (and jiggle) of the female model's breasts.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Tolchock wrote:
MacKom wrote: And speaking of personal preferences, the anatomy on those is...fantastical. Very fantastical, even. :mrgreen:
Seconded. I have not been able to find a Skyrim body replacer which I prefer to vanilla. Then again, I have the unfortunate luck of being a straight female... I would happily use something like Mackom's sculpt, however.

I think there are many more pressing concerns for OpenMW and its character and physics system than the size (and jiggle) of the female model's breasts.
... We are in so much need for more women in the gaming and modding community. It's embarrassing how important jiggling boobs and the like seems to be to people.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Yeah. I'd rather see some muscular manly buttocks myself.

Oh, that was not what you meant?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Okulo wrote:Yeah. I'd rather see some muscular manly buttocks myself.

Oh, that was not what you meant?
Ba-dun tsss! :)
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

To hell with bouncing breasts! I wanna see bouncy balls and floppy penises! After all, 'tis only natural. :mrgreen:
MacKom

Post by MacKom »

Tes96 wrote:To hell with bouncing breasts! I wanna see bouncy balls and floppy penises! After all, 'tis only natural. :mrgreen:
Schlongs of Tamriel :twisted:
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Full Monty: Morrowind
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Another issue with "characters and physics" is those infernal bounding boxes. My god those things are annoying. Is it just a .NIF model issue? I don't think it entirely is because Oblivion and Skyrim use the NIF model and I can't recall any times I've been stuck. For example, one of the caves I'm designing for Province:Cyrodiil has a plethora of stalagmites and stalactites and if Player jumps she gets stuck in the ceiling. One would think one wouldn't get stuck by jumping straight up into jagged pointy rocks. :lol:
Seriously though, I can't be the only one here who has disdain and contempt for the collision boxes. I would love if the collision boxes for objects, creatures and characters (Player included), matched the shaped of the model and not just a gigantic box.
Is there any forseeable opportunity that Open Morrowind will be able to do something about this?