How to install omw from scratch on Linux?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Kloppix

How to install omw from scratch on Linux?

Post by Kloppix »

First of all, Greetings and salutations! I'm following this project since a while. You guys are doing a really great job.

I updated my system from Olivia to Petra as Raring Ringtail doesn't have support anymore, but after updating OMW it stopped working, so I tried a fresh install. Now I become always:

“Could not find settings-default.cfg

The problem may be due to an incomplete installation of OpenMW.
Reinstalling OpenMW may resolve the problem.”

I already tried:
- Purging omw
- Doing Install and Reinstall
- Deleting .cache/openmorrowind, .config/openmw/ and even /etc/openmw/ and /usr/share/games/openmw/
- Installing it via PPA and also via .deb
- Using my Steam Data Files, and also a CD

At the end I copied the file settings-default.cfg from https://github.com/zinnschlag/openmw/bl ... efault.cfg into /etc/openmw, but then I got a new error:

"ERROR: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource openmw.png in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /build/buildd/ogre-1.9-1.9.0+dfsg1/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756)"

Can anyone help me?
Zini

Re: How to install omw from scratch on Linux?

Post by Zini »

Sorry, no idea. If you did a clean install, it should have worked out of the box.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

It seems you are missing some resources. Normally they should be in /usr/share/games/openmw/resources and be picked up automatically. Make sure you have the package openmw-data installed and try again.
Kloppix

Post by Kloppix »

Ok, this is weird as hell.

I purged openmw and removed everything. → “locate openmw” returned no results.
I installed openmw and checked if everything was there:

$ aptitude search openmw
i openmw
p openmw:i386
p openmw-cs
p openmw-cs:i386
i A openmw-data
i A openmw-launcher
p openmw-launcher:i386

After that I ran openmw for the first time and the program told me there is already a configuration file and didn't even ask about the data files location. I clicked on import and now openmw works. :)

My only theory is that Sheogorath messed up my computer.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

OpenMW picks up a Morrowind installation when it's installed with wine, but there's a good chance Sheogorath decided to mess with you of course :lol: Glad everything is working now!