English weekly news translation

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
Tolchock

Re: English weekly news translation

Post by Tolchock »

Here you go. I've rephrased one or two things, notably this line:
The expression is created in such manner that it can be adapted to each column which could hold the corresponding record.
I had to read it a couple of times to understand what it meant. Please check that my alterations make the meaning clearer, instead of misinterpreting it. :)

An ode to (unit) tests.

Version 0.29.0 will be released soon — momentary impediments are the bugs that were detected
during the RC testing phase. I don't want to delve into the details, but, if anyone needs to support the thesis that (unit) testing is critical, OpenMW is a perfect example. Fortunately, things are moving in the right direction.

Scrawl's latest idea is to streamline the process of starting a new game — terrain data can be
loaded in another thread, so we don't have to watch another episode of "The Bold and the Beautiful"
while waiting for the start of OpenMW.

Additionally, Pvdk is trying to please grumblers who can't tolerate Wine on their system.
Wine is very helpful with the installation of Morrowind, but I must admit that installing it just
for this purpose seems over the top. After all, you can just unpack game archives
(there is even a useful library for doing this).

As I've mentioned in previous weeks, Pvdk is creating a user-friendly installer for Morrowind.
The installer will be enriched by new features as well as other minor improvements: it'll verify what
has already been installed and won't install the Bloodmoon add-on before Tribunal. It will also properly save the morrowind.ini file.

SirHerrbatka has introduced the ability to automatically create filters using the drag'n'drop
feature in OpenCS. The way the expression is created ensures that it can be adapted to the columns which hold corresponding records. For example, when dragging a faction record, let's say, "the Fighter's Guild", into the Referencables' filter field, it'll automatically appear in the filter, so that the table will display only NPCs belonging to the Fighter's Guild.

The new method is much more efficient — the filter creation process speeds up noticeably (even if you type very quickly). The possibilities of this function are a bit more expansive than the example above and eventually it'll be described in much more detail in the OpenCS manual.

Till next time!
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Thanks! :)
raevol

Post by raevol »

My attempt:
Ode to the (unit) tests.

Version 0.29.0 will be released soon - bugs that were detected during the RC testing phase are causing a temporary delay. I don't want to delve into the details, but if anyone needs an example to support the thesis of the key role of (unit) testing, then OpenMW is that example. Fortunately, things are moving into the right direction.

Scrawl's latest idea is to streamline the process of starting new game -- terrain data can be loaded in another thread, so we don't have to watch another episode of "The Bold and the Beautiful" waiting for the start of OpenMW.

Pvdk in turn, is trying to please grumblers who can't tolerate Wine on their system. Wine is very helpful with the installation of Morrowind, but I must admit that installing it just for this purpose seems to be a waste. After all, you can just unpack game archives (there's even a useful library for doing this).

As I mentioned in previous weeks, Pvdk is working on a friendly graphical installer for the Morrowind. The installer has been enriched with new features, as well as other minor improvements: it'll verify what has already been installed and it won't install Bloodmoon before Tribunal, and it'll properly save the morrowind.ini file.

SirHerrbatka introduced the ability to automatically create filters using the drag'n'drop feature in OpenCS. The expression is created in such a manner that it can be adapted to each column which could hold the corresponding record. For example, when dragging a record fraction, let's say "guild warriors", into the Referencables' filter field, it'll automatically appear in the filter, so the table will display only NPCs belonging to the guild of warriors.

The new method is much more efficient - the speed up of the filter creation process is quite noticeable (even if you are a fast typer). This function has many more possibilities than the example mentioned, and it'll be described more extensively in the OpenCS manual.

Till next time!
Edit: Snap, didn't see someone had beat me to it. Sorry for the redundant post!
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Hi,
a little late, but as usual, humble request for proof-reading:
At first, let me quote Zini:

<blockquote>
The first iteration of the navigation system is now in master. Please test!

A few points to consider:
- This is only the first iteration. We will most definitely improve the system further.
- Other navigation modes can be added later. We should even consider allowing editor plugins to add navigation modes.
- Input focus handling is a bit wonky at the moment. When opening the scene sub view and after clicking outside the actual rendered scene you will have to click on the scene again, before it accepts keyboard input. Needs further work, but not my priority now.
- Navigation modes can be selected via the button on the left bar. This buttons pops up another bar with 3 buttons, one for each mode. The icons on these buttons are place-holders (I just used some random icons that are already in use elsewhere).
- There are currently several hard-coded values that influence how the navigation system works (e.g. mouse sensitivity). These will be made configurable, once we have a properly working user settings implementation (*cough*). Likewise all key-bindings (including mouse buttons) will be made configurable eventually.

The navigation modes are (from left to right):

1. First Person

- Mouse-Look while holding the left mouse button
- WASD as usual
- Mouse wheel moves the camera forward/backward
- Holding the left mouse button and control, let’s you strafe (also vertically)
- Camera is held upright (you can’t do a back-flip or a headstand)

2. Free Camera

- WASD let’s you strafe (also vertically)
- Holding the left mouse button and control, let’s you strafe (also vertically)
- Q and E keys makes the camera roll

3. Orbiting

- You are always facing the centre point.
- The centre point is 0, 0, 0 by default (we will add other methods to set it eventually)
- Holding the left mouse button makes you rotate around the centre point while keeping the distance.
- WASD also makes you rotate around the centre point while keeping the distance.
- The mouse wheel moves you towards or away from the centre. But you can not pass through the centre.
- Holding the left mouse button and control let’s you strafe and moves the centre point in the same direction and by the same distance.

In all three modes you can hold down the shift key to perform actions at an accelerated speed.
</blockquote>

In short, OpenCS editor has been enriched by the ability to change the orientation
of the camera in rendering panel. Of course, the rendering panel is still not able
to display the contents of a game cell, yet - this feature will come with time.

Meanwhile Scrawl, like the possessed man, submitted terrain rendering fixes to the GitHub repository.
Could his last work in that matter revealed some imperfections? This sounds suspiciously enough
that just in case I'll not delve topic.

Similarly, I prefer to avoid mistreatment of the poor Pvdk that with determination
worthy of mythical heroes strives to handle all possible installation media of Morrowind.
This group includes tiles from magazines and all possible boxed editions - and each
edition may slightly differ in detail the distribution of files.

Cc9cii (contrary to appearances, this is not the Borg designation, only nickname
of one of the developers) submitted a number of patches which help us reach v0.29.0.

See you next week!
raevol

Post by raevol »

Meanwhile Scrawl, like the possessed man, submitted terrain rendering fixes to the GitHub repository. Could his last work in that matter revealed some imperfections? This sounds suspiciously enough that just in case I'll not delve topic.

Similarly, I prefer to avoid mistreatment of the poor Pvdk that with determination worthy of mythical heroes strives to handle all possible installation media of Morrowind. This group includes tiles from magazines and all possible boxed editions - and each edition may slightly differ in detail the distribution of files.
Honestly, I'm not sure what these two paragraphs say...
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

First, let me quote Zini:

<blockquote>
The first iteration of the navigation system is now in master. Please test!

A few points to consider:
- This is only the first iteration. We will most definitely improve the system further.
- Other navigation modes can be added later. We should even consider allowing editor plugins to add navigation modes.
- Input focus handling is a bit wonky at the moment. When opening the scene sub view and after clicking outside the actual rendered scene you will have to click on the scene again, before it accepts keyboard input. Needs further work, but not my priority now.
- Navigation modes can be selected via the button on the left bar. This buttons pops up another bar with 3 buttons, one for each mode. The icons on these buttons are place-holders (I just used some random icons that are already in use elsewhere).
- There are currently several hard-coded values that influence how the navigation system works (e.g. mouse sensitivity). These will be made configurable, once we have a properly working user settings implementation (*cough*). Likewise all key-bindings (including mouse buttons) will be made configurable eventually.

The navigation modes are (from left to right):

1. First Person

- WASD as usual
- Holding the left mouse button and control, lets you strafe (also vertically)
- Camera is held upright (you can’t do a back-flip or a headstand)

2. Free Camera

- WASD lets you strafe (also vertically)
- Holding the left mouse button and control, lets you strafe (also vertically)

3. Orbiting

- You are always facing the center point.
- The center point is 0, 0, 0 by default (we will add other methods to set it eventually)
- Holding the left mouse button makes you rotate around the center point while keeping the distance.
- WASD also makes you rotate around the center point while keeping the distance.
- The mouse wheel moves you towards or away from the center. But you can not pass through the center.
- Holding the left mouse button and control let’s you strafe and moves the center point in the same direction and by the same distance.

In all three modes you can hold down the shift key to perform actions at an accelerated speed.
</blockquote>

In short, OpenCS editor has been enriched with the ability to change the orientation
of the camera in the rendering panel. Of course, the rendering panel is still not able
to display the contents of a game cell yet - this feature will come with time.

Meanwhile, Scrawl submitted terrain rendering fixes to the GitHub repository. Could this mean that his latest work in this area revealed some imperfections? This seems suspicious enough that, just in case, I'll not pry further into this matter.

I similarly prefer to avoid mistreatment of poor Pvdk who, with determination
rivaling that of mythical heroes, strives to handle all possible installation media of Morrowind.
This group includes tiles from magazines and every known boxed edition - each of which may differ slightly in the packaging of their files.

Cc9cii (contrary to appearances, this is not the Borg designation, only the nickname
of one of our developers) submitted a number of patches which will help us reach v0.29.0.

See you next week!
Okay ... I think this basically captures the intended meaning of everything. I have no idea what you mean by "tiles from magazines", so I just left it.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Thank you guys for proof-reading (I should read this weekly a bit more before posting).
raevol

Post by raevol »

lgro, thank you for doing translations though! It's very appreciated!
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Hi,
another week, another weekly ;) Would you guys proof-read this:
Are there any among us who prefer ranged weapons over the close distance combat with the enemy? Are there any among us who prefer bows, throwing weapons, or maybe crossbows? Yeah, certainly there are, and certainly they'll be glad for this - since now you can shoot and throw at will! OpenMW supports all nasty, harmful things from the "Marksman" skill category. Of course behind this there is no one else but Scrawl.

However, that's not all.

Gus introduced another portion of fixes and improvements intended for the still slightly ailing NPCs artificial intelligence. Zini improves 3D navigation in rendering panel in OpenCS, while SirHerrbatka is working on records editing view - which you can see on the following screenshot:

<screenshot>

See you next week!
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Are there any among us who prefer ranged weapons over close quarters combat with the enemy? Are there any among us who prefer bows, crossbows, or maybe even throwing weapons? Yeah, certainly there are, and certainly they'll be glad to hear that they can now shoot and throw at will! OpenMW now supports all nasty, harmful relating to the "Marksman" skill category. Of course, the one behind all this is none other than Scrawl.

However, that's not all.

Gus contributed another portion of fixes and improvements intended for the still slightly ailing artificial intelligence of NPCs. Zini improves 3D navigation in the rendering panel of OpenCS, while SirHerrbatka is working on the records editing view - which you can see on the following screenshot:

<screenshot>

See you next week!
Thanks for doing these translations lgro!