Openmw and Skywind

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Hrawwaaaa

Re: Openmw and Skywind

Post by Hrawwaaaa »

FreeLikeGNU wrote:Skywind appears to be about bringing the game of Morrowind into Skyrim's game engine using many of Skyrims existing assets and game mechanics. While OpenMW is seems more about aiming to replace the existing Morrowind engine with something that is far more accessable accross hardware platforms and is able to be supported and enhanced by the community without Bethesda needing to support Morrowind further.
yes, but apart from performance-stabilization and cross-platform-accessibility OpenMW also adds the possibility to implement up-to-date graphics (models & animations), which could actually be handeled by the engine. this is exactly where it comes to Skywind, which offers a lot of custom made Morrowind stuff like clothing, armors, weapons, even creatures. this is the least opportunity that should be considered, to convert single user-made assets from Skywind to OpenMW (as a seperate project, not the actual OpenMW project). and of course that would still be a heck of work, probably needing to make a new player model for the armors and clothing - i already talked about this before somewhere. but it should be possible.

of course, actually converting the whole project of Skywind over to OpenMW - the whole landscape itself - i don't think that will be possible. starting with the problem that Skywind is dependend on quite a lot vanilla Skyrim resources.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

As a general rule, porting assets between things that have specialized file formats (as the Elder Scrolls games insist upon) tends to be rather difficult. Unless OpenMW implements identical or near-identical .nif support (IIRC Morrowind uses its own format) it would be nigh impossible to port, and not really worth all that much to begin with.
Hrawwaaaa

Post by Hrawwaaaa »

SquireNed wrote:As a general rule, porting assets between things that have specialized file formats (as the Elder Scrolls games insist upon) tends to be rather difficult. Unless OpenMW implements identical or near-identical .nif support (IIRC Morrowind uses its own format) it would be nigh impossible to port, and not really worth all that much to begin with.
i don't know anything about modeling/porting models etc. but i've seen stuff ported over from Skyrim to Morrowind, even complete armor sets which are working perfectly, so a conversion of graphics should surely be possible. i don't know how hard it is to port stuff over to OpenMW. but i can't imagine that, for example, implementing new creatures would be all that difficult (well, except for animations maybe..). and if someone made the effort to create a new player model for OpenMW to which Skyrim armor can be easily attached, then porting over armor surely shouldn't be that difficult either.

and why wouldn't it be worth the work? Skywind provides a ton of custom made, so to speak "freely available" graphics for Morrowind, so why not try to make use of it? (ofc not without getting an OK from the content creators themselves)
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Maybe I'm wrong about the incompatibility of the models, then (I am, to a large degree, according to a brief Google search). I thought that Skyrim used a much different model format than Morrowind. To my understanding, Skyrim supports animation functions that OpenMW should also support, but vanilla Morrowind does not, meaning that any custom bodies (a near requirement for all but the most coincidentally matching armors) have to be made using different methods. That said, OpenMW *should* support features that would be pretty similar.

I don't think the OpenMW project will ever officially include additional content (at least not unless it's part of an engine showcase) to extend vanilla Morrowind, but it's possible to port stuff over. OpenMW shouldn't have any arbitrary limits on things like polygons or texture resolution (not that I recall Morrowind having any), so it should simply require a little human effort.

EDIT: Nobody's talking about doing it, but it's important to remember that porting original Skyrim content or content from its official DLC's into OpenMW or Morrowind and redistributing it is a pretty major copyright violation. If you're going to do it, keep it on your rig (and don't announce it to the world/Bethesda).
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

Assuming that in final Skywind all Skyrim and Morrowind assets are replaced with custom ones: How good are the chances that OpenMW will be able to use Skyrim NIFs and other stuff like the landscape, music and voice acting without much porting efford?

Skywind in OpenMW needs to happen. It would be a shame if we stick to our crappy old visual mods or vanilla when there is something that awesome.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

there is no chance to do this in the near future.
SGMonkey

Post by SGMonkey »

PeterBitt wrote:Skywind in OpenMW needs to happen. It would be a shame if we stick to our crappy old visual mods or vanilla when there is something that awesome.
I really don't understand why you would say this. A scaled down Morrowind, made by modders for skyrim, ported to TES III??

People have made some pretty impressive assets for TES III already, and OMW will open the doors for making much better stuff even further. If only with the added support of normal maps.

Honestly, that statement is a bit of a slap to the face of everyone who's ever created graphical enhancing mods for Morrowind.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

I think he meant to say that the fact the Skyrim resources are made with a newer version of the NIF files and at the moment there are no interest to support these.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Yes, thanks for clarification.

This topic was discussed many times before and should go into FAQ most likely.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

But to frame a new perspective for this question why not have Morrowsky?

The Tamriel Rebuilt project should be scrutinized for many openmw compatibility issues as the majority of its content is vanilla morrowind. They could eventually make skyrim a thing for morrowind when they have more resources.