Multiple installs

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
SGMonkey

Multiple installs

Post by SGMonkey »

Hi all, dumb question time.

I was playing around with OpenMW 1.8 as i wanted to test a mod far away from 0,0 on the grid. When I first fired up OpenMW it gave me an option to import an existing .ini, but it didn't give me a choice of which one. Myself, and I'm sure many others out there, have multiple installs of Morrowind.

I personally have one install for playing, one for testing peoples mods, and then one for each project I'm working on. Currently two.

So, is there anyway to choose which install for OpenMW to use via the launcher? Or does it need to be done in a config file? If so what is the correct way to do so?

Cheers people. Keep up the great work!
wheybags

Re: Multiple installs

Post by wheybags »

You can say no, and then specify a location to import from.
Otherwise it will just pull from standard paths (C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind, or .wine/drive_c/Program File/... etc on linux/osx with wine).
SGMonkey

Post by SGMonkey »

Ok. Uninstalled, deleted user data. Tried again and clicked skip and it just loaded the launcher with the Morrowind.esm in the data files page. No option to choose where to import from.

Using the windows 64 bit version.

Also, for whatever reason, keyring.esp is listed below Morrowind.esm.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

On linux you can use the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable to set up multiple openmw config prefixes. I'm afraid on windows its not possible.

As for resetting your current config, if you set firstrun=true in launcher.cfg it'll ask you to import again.
SGMonkey

Post by SGMonkey »

I have tried setting the first run to true, but it still doesn't give me the option to choose an install directory.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

In what file are you setting that?
Zini

Post by Zini »

I suspect, if there are multiple installations of MW, OpenMW won't see most of them, since it only looks in specific places. Adjusting the data= entry in the user openmw.cfg file should do the job.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

The wizard I'm working on is going to make this a lot easier: you will be able to select the installation to use with OpenMW, and which .ini to import from. Also, there's going to be an extra tab in the launcher which lets you re-run the .ini importer and the wizard. It's nearing completion.
SGMonkey

Post by SGMonkey »

scrawl wrote:In what file are you setting that?
D:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\openmw\launcher.cfg
Zini wrote:I suspect, if there are multiple installations of MW, OpenMW won't see most of them, since it only looks in specific places. Adjusting the data= entry in the user openmw.cfg file should do the job.
Which line should I edit?

Code: Select all

data="?global?data"
data="?mw?Data Files"
data-local="?user?data"
resources=resources
I tried this before. I pointed the second line to my project directory which only half worked. Basically it just added the plugins from my second directory to the first. So when in the launcher, I could see plugins from both directories.
pvdk wrote:The wizard I'm working on is going to make this a lot easier: you will be able to select the installation to use with OpenMW, and which .ini to import from. Also, there's going to be an extra tab in the launcher which lets you re-run the .ini importer and the wizard. It's nearing completion.
That's awesome news pvdk. Glad to hear its something in the pipeline. One thing I'd like to suggest/request if you don't mind. Is the option to have the different directories saved. So I can import the directory to openmw, then another one, and keep them both intact and separate. So i can easily switch between the two. Its great to be able to have the option to reimport a particular .ini, but it would be a pita t have to redo it every time you want to switch project.

Cheers everyone!

EDIT: Sorry for posting this topic here. Should probably be moved to "Technical>>Support"
Zini

Post by Zini »

I tried this before. I pointed the second line to my project directory which only half worked. Basically it just added the plugins from my second directory to the first. So when in the launcher, I could see plugins from both directories.
Theoretically you should be able to just append a new data line at the end of the file (later data items have higher priority). I don't think though this has properly been tested yet and I am somewhat less than confident that this will work properly.