Wiki update for Windows builds

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
cc9cii

Wiki update for Windows builds

Post by cc9cii »

The wiki section https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... #Libraries mentions msinttypes which apparently is needed to build FFmpeg (amongst other things, I presume). However I found that it breaks boost_1_55_0 build using msvc-11.0. (compiler freaks out with those headers, esp. stdint.h)

I don't know enough about these things to suggest a proper fix (possibly editing one of the VS batch files?) but at least it should be mentioned somewhere I think.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Re: Wiki update for Windows builds

Post by lgromanowski »

Hi,
feel free to update wiki (you just have to add yourself into wiki group in user control panel).
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Ok, will do. But first I would like to confirm that I got it built correctly before I update the wiki.

Everything builds and runs, but some bits don't work correctly. It isn't clear if they are real issues or if I didn't select some option during the build... For example the game does not start in Bashara, and the debug build always asserts in the bullet library. I noticed that ACE's one uses different DLL's, so obviously there are some differences...
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I don't think I'm the poster child for comparing to when following the wiki instructions, seeing as I've built almost every single dependency myself. For OpenMW that was needed to get 32 and 64 bit builds working at the time, even had to write solutions for two since they only had makefiles. I think now Ogre has a 64-bit precompiled library that you can use, and such can skip most of that.
I think that ffmpeg is the one dependency I haven't built myself since it actually can't be built through Visual Studio, but every other DLL will probably be different from anything you could get.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

I was just comparing the DLLs that I have to those packaged in 64bit distro http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmw/ ... mw-0.28.0/ I simply assumed you've built them :)

I spent some time getting ffmpeg 2.1.3 built (actually the tip of 2.1 branch using git). With a bit of stuffing around I can get things built using msvc-11.0 (as yet not tested). Had to use c99-to-c89-1.0.2, yasm-1.3.0-win64, msinttypes-r29 and pr from somewhere, following instructions here: Microsoft Visual Studio support in FFmpeg and Libav. Can't remember if I hacked some files along the way. I'll have a look if you're interested.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

cc9cii wrote:I was just comparing the DLLs that I have to those packaged in 64bit distro http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmw/ ... mw-0.28.0/ I simply assumed you've built them :)
I think I'm the only person so far to dare go through the process of getting 64-bit builds done, people fear for their sanity when going down that road.
cc9cii wrote:I spent some time getting ffmpeg 2.1.3 built (actually the tip of 2.1 branch using git). With a bit of stuffing around I can get things built using msvc-11.0 (as yet not tested). Had to use c99-to-c89-1.0.2, yasm-1.3.0-win64, msinttypes-r29 and pr from somewhere, following instructions here: Microsoft Visual Studio support in FFmpeg and Libav. Can't remember if I hacked some files along the way. I'll have a look if you're interested.
Well, I wish you the best of luck in that. I never felt like trying to get ffmpeg compiled myself, I just used precompiled libraries for that.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Can someone update this section on the wiki page?
Windows Dev Environment Setup wrote: Once this is done, you're ready to get the source code.

Get the OpenMW Source code using GIT or Tortoise Git

Download and install all of these and make sure the environment (the system and Cmake) knows where they are. (Coming soon)
I think we should make it a new section too.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

I've made some updates, feel free to correct any mistakes and/or reorganise for a better flow.
Ace (SWE) wrote:
Well, I wish you the best of luck in that. I never felt like trying to get ffmpeg compiled myself, I just used precompiled libraries for that.
Debug build needed a lot of edits, but after all that a debug version was not needed since the latest ffmpeg works fine in my system and does not crash the intro video (so far).