Art assets

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

silentthief

Re: Art assets

Post by silentthief »

For some reason, I completely forgot that there is a exporter from blender thru niftools. I withdraw my earlier complaints and worries.

ST
hircine

Post by hircine »

Greendogo and I are in agreement that we should investigate using MakeHuman Meshes & skeleton, preferably modified for PG audiences. (Barbie doll anatomy) :?

thought I'd give a bit of a brief, that we drew from our discussion on IRC.

Someone(Faelian was sent a pm from Dogo about this) would best test this out and try and bring over a static mesh from MakeHuman into blender, then into Vanilla MW. Then if they have the skill, make a simple animation to test whether or not that will work.

Everything created by MakeHuman is Creative Commons, so we won't have any issues with licensing.

The thing that will suck(in terms of not being able to reuse content), is that we will have to create new clothes & armours to fit these meshes. Weapons/hand held objects should remain uneffected or at least be modifiable slightly to be compatible.

BSA is being looked at, hopefully will have some progress on that front soon.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

hircine wrote:Greendogo and I are in agreement that we should investigate using MakeHuman Meshes & skeleton, preferably modified for PG audiences...
Not sure if this would be helpful or not, but is there any way to use pre-defined mocaps for animation? Reason I ask is there are plenty of free motion capture files available on the net if these are something that is usable (or even a post v1 feature)

ST
sesom

Post by sesom »

I am following this project over a year now and always thought about what I am able to give back for all the work that is invested here. I plan to use this engine for my own game in the future and as it seems it will come to a reality pretty soon.To make clear where I come from and what skills I have. I am a long term mod developer for Fallout 3 and NV. At the moment I am working on Fallout The Story (a conversion of Fallout 1 to the NV engine).

Also as maintainer of Breezes male body for NV I have a lot of experience in 3D model making in Blender for the FO3/NV engine. I am also using my own custom animations in my not so well known mods. The Nif Tools support for Morrowind is at the same level (maybe even better) as it is for FO3 & NV. I already did a bit of the needed research. So I am very confident it can be done fully in Blender and the 3DSMax tools aren't needed.

So if still help is needed for making a custom body on base of the makehuman modell and the needed animation set for the example suite I am now gladly offering my help. It's work that I have to do for my own game anyway. I know what I am getting into and how much work it will be. But yes I decieded I will help with this task.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

The animation and body model task is a big blocker to continuing work on the Example Suite, so I say yes, go ahead!

If you understand the animation and modeling system well enough, would you post a rough outline of what you are planning to do?
sesom

Post by sesom »

The plan is (for the example suite, slightly different for my own game that I want to make):

Step1: Male and female base modell (in TPose) and texture with about the same polycount of bb based on the newest nightly build of makehuman. I will add a normal map from a higher polycount version which can be used to show the new feature of the new engine.
For the start i thought of a imperial/caucasian base modell. Other needed races could be simply made via texture.

Step2: As skeleton i plan to use the game skeleton from makehuman, not sure yet if the bones need to be renamed to fit the Bip01 convention that Bethesda games uses (but I suspect yes and additional bones like nonaccum have to be added).

Step3: The most time consuming task: Creating new anim nifs (3rd/1st/female) with a set of basic idle, jump, walk, run, death.., animations. Not sure yet if we need here the full set of Morrowind here. Also it depends on what weapons will be available in the example suite.

I am not a great artist but the goal here is to deliver a solid base and documented workflow with example files that can be used later on by game developers.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

That sounds like a good plan, feel free to start a new thread to document and showcase your progress if you want.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

sesom wrote:Step1: Male and female base modell (in TPose) and texture with about the same polycount of bb based on the newest nightly build of makehuman.
Note, something about T-pose was said here. Something about mesh deforming. Don't know if it's relevant, but I thought I'd put it out there, just in case.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Hey Sesom, any updates on this?