Application - skullgrid

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
skullgrid

Application - skullgrid

Post by skullgrid »

Hi. I'm a hobbyist programmer with a negligible amount of academic experience. I've been on your IRC channel twice but it seems pretty slow.

If you look for my name on github you'll find an outdated build for an unfinished game written in Go. I have rudimentary knowledge of 2D graphics and a firm grasp of programming fundamentals. I am quite rusty when it comes to C++ however. I have not worked with OGRE or QT but I've been looking to pick up QT for a long time. It's probably best if I keep away from the heavy 3D stuff.

I'm a Linux user though it looks like many people here are as well. All for the better, I guess.

I aim to contribute to this project however I can.
pvdk

Re: Application - skullgrid

Post by pvdk »

Hi, welcome.
skullgrid wrote:I've been on your IRC channel twice but it seems pretty slow.
You've been to the wrong IRC channel, that's for sure!
skullgrid

Post by skullgrid »

pvdk wrote:Hi, welcome.
I've been on at weird times so that may be the problem.

Is this team mostly eastern or western? Or mixed?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

skullgrid wrote:
pvdk wrote:Hi, welcome.
I've been on at weird times so that may be the problem.

Is this team mostly eastern or western? Or mixed?
Try heavily European... and whatever timezone Scrawl is in. ;)
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

According to the git logs, scrawl loves some looooooooong hack sessions at night ;-)
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Welcome,
For if you're wondering, Zini is the one giving the programming jobs here. I'm sure he'll give you an answer soon.
Hope you'll hang around.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Picking up Qt sounds like a good idea. OpenMW is progressing well currently and we don't urgently need more manpower there. OpenCS (our replacement for the TES-CS) on the other hand is in dire need of attention. We still have plenty of open tasks there, though most aren't very beginner friendly. Let's have a look at the roadmap:

* Editor: Drag & Drop

This is currently the most important missing feature. Not exactly easy. Only take this one if you are able to put a decent amount of time into it. Wouldn't have listed it here, if it were not so important and if we were not so short on Qt developers.

* Editor: Record Cloning

This one should be significantly easier.

* Editor: Sub-View cloning

Slightly harder and a lot of work.

* Editor: Threaded loading

Not that much work, but a bit more complicated.

And since that hasn't been mentioned yet, please make sure do go over the new developer checklist (linked in the pinned thread in this forum).
skullgrid

Post by skullgrid »

Zini wrote:Picking up Qt sounds like a good idea. OpenMW is progressing well currently and we don't urgently need more manpower there. OpenCS (our replacement for the TES-CS) on the other hand is in dire need of attention. We still have plenty of open tasks there, though most aren't very beginner friendly. Let's have a look at the roadmap:

* Editor: Drag & Drop

This is currently the most important missing feature. Not exactly easy. Only take this one if you are able to put a decent amount of time into it. Wouldn't have listed it here, if it were not so important and if we were not so short on Qt developers.

* Editor: Record Cloning

This one should be significantly easier.

* Editor: Sub-View cloning

Slightly harder and a lot of work.

* Editor: Threaded loading

Not that much work, but a bit more complicated.

And since that hasn't been mentioned yet, please make sure do go over the new developer checklist (linked in the pinned thread in this forum).
I'll try my hand at Drag and Drop.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay. All discussions about this feature should go to the thread linked in the issue. I will add a post with a few additional points of importance (the thread is rather old and there are a few things that can be made clearer).