OpenMW 0.12.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: OpenMW 0.12.0

Post by Zini »

Nope. First, I don't get a space. And even with a space in front of a command, it would still execute correctly. Our scripting system is a lot more tolerant about spaces than the MW version.
corristo

Post by corristo »

So it's possibly mac-specific bug.
And may be it's not space but some other whitespace symbol which not trimmed from commands.

Can you point me please where in code chars appended to console input?
Zini

Post by Zini »

In the mwgui subsystem I assume. We have a file named console.cpp. That's probably the right spot to start searching.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Status update:

No progress on the configuration task, but we have two promising branches for the packaging automation.

Regression #1 (back and okay button in race window): The bug went away after the window manager refactoring. Slightly suboptimal, since we still don't know what has caused it, but since the code that caused the bug is probably not in the codebase anymore, this is acceptable as a fix.
Can't get it into 0.12.0 though (merging it into 0.13.0 was nightmarish enough). It looks like we will have an unfixed regression for this release.

Regression #2: Very suspicious workaround. Shouldn't work, but it does. Not entirely happy, but it seems we have no other choice than going along with it for now.

Regression #3: No progress. Not even an idea. Will try to put some time into this problem either this weekend or next week.

Regression #4: Fixed.

We also have 3 new regressions:

#5 ASCII 16 character added to console on it's activation on Mac OS X
#6 Case Folding fails with music files
#7 Taking screenshot causes crash when running installed

These are all rather minor and we can easily release 0.12.0 without fixing them. We definitely won't delay the release to fix these, but if anyone can create a fix in time, that would be great.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Update: Regression #3 fixed (a slight oversight on my part during my work on cell handling; with disastrous results though).

Non-critical regression #7 is also down. Since the other two remaining regressions are non-critical too, this leaves us with an unfinished configuration system. Everything else is ready now.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Quoting myself from earlier in this thread:
Once these issues are resolved, I would like to ask all the packagers to create a package for internal testing and upload them to their github account. Please make sure to label the files accordingly, so they won't be confused with the public release (I guess an "alpha" label would do the job).

Once these packages are uploaded I would like to ask as many people as possible to test these. We need tests on all 3 major platforms and also on each with MW installed and without MW installed (which will still require manual adjustments to the openmw.cfg file in the user location).

The change in the configuration system is rather substantial and we should make sure that everything works well.

if everything works well, we can have a release immediately afterwards.
Well, the issues seems to be resolved. At least I couldn't find any while testing on my Linux box with uninstalled MW.

Packagers, please get packing! Upload and test as desribed above.

Note: If you are running OpenMW with installed MW (either native or under WINE), please make sure to remove all openmw.cfg files that could be visible to the installed OpenMW. Pre-0.12.0 openmw.cfg files can interfere with the configuration system.

Edit: Just to make sure: The 0.12.0 release is at the HEAD of my master branch. That is what you should make your package from.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Nothing has broken during building, but I did get this:
[ 71%] Building CXX object apps/openmw/CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/mwrender/animation.cpp.o
/home/bcurtis/workspace/openmw/apps/openmw/mwrender/animation.cpp: In member function ‘void MWRender::Animation::handleShapes(std::vector<Nif::NiTriShapeCopy>*, Ogre::Entity*, Ogre::SkeletonInstance*)’:
/home/bcurtis/workspace/openmw/apps/openmw/mwrender/animation.cpp:185:35: warning: variable ‘currentNormal’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
/home/bcurtis/workspace/openmw/apps/openmw/mwrender/animation.cpp: In member function ‘void MWRender::Animation::handleAnimationTransforms()’:
/home/bcurtis/workspace/openmw/apps/openmw/mwrender/animation.cpp:430:38: warning: variable ‘ttimeiter’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
Yay for un-used variables...

Will update this when finished packaging and testing.

Update:
After installing the created deb package, the omwlauncher runs but does not show the 'scroll' image in the back unlike when running omwlauncher from the build directory.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/396161/omwLauncher_01.png

When trying to run openmw from the launcher, I get this:
bcurtis@zwartevogel:~$ omwlauncher
Loading config file: /home/bcurtis/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg... done.
Loading config file: /etc/openmw/openmw.cfg... done.
Using default (English) font encoding.
No master file given. Assuming Morrowind.esm
bcurtis@zwartevogel:~$ Skipping invalid directory: "?user?data"
Adding /usr/share/games/openmw/data/Morrowind.bsa
Data dir /usr/share/games/openmw/data
Skipping invalid directory: "?user?data"
Loading ESM /usr/share/games/openmw/data/Morrowind.esm
player
ERROR: boost::filesystem::directory_iterator::construct: No such file or directory: ""?user?data"/Music/Explore/"
In the 'Data Files' spot in omwlauncher, I no longer see the typically auto-detected Morrowind data (as in from the data directory). Yes the file/directory exists.

contents of openmw.cfg:
bcurtis@zwartevogel:~$ cat /etc/openmw/openmw.cfg
data="?mw?Data Files"
data="?global?data"
data="?local?data"
data-local="?user?data"
resources=/usr/share/games/openmw/resources
Result: no go in Linux. :(
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

There is a problem with double-quotes - I think there should be no double-quote character around token because they will be replaced, but double-quotes should be used when you write normal path (not a token one), i.e:

data=?mw?data
data="/foo/bar baz/aaa bbb"

this probably will not work, but I need to check it:

data=?mw?"data foo bar"
Zini

Post by Zini »

I think there should be no double-quote character around token because they will be replaced, but double-quotes should be used when you write normal path (not a token one)
Well, that won't work. See
data="?mw?Data Files"
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

This is what I've got:

Code: Select all

$ ./openmw --encoding=win1250 --fps
Loading config file: /home/lgromanowski/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg... done.
Loading config file: ./openmw.cfg... done.
Loading config file: /etc/openmw/openmw.cfg... done.
Using Central and Eastern European font encoding.
Ignoring all but the first master file (multiple master files not yet supported).
Adding /home/lgromanowski/.config/openmw/Data Files/Bloodmoon.bsa
Data dir /home/lgromanowski/.config/openmw/Data Files
Adding /home/lgromanowski/.config/openmw/Data Files/Morrowind.bsa
Adding /home/lgromanowski/.config/openmw/Data Files/Tribunal.bsa
Loading ESM /home/lgromanowski/.config/openmw/Data Files/Morrowind.esm
playerSound output:  OpenAL
Sound decoder: mpg123,sndfile
cellName:Beshara
loading cell Beshara

Press Q/ESC or close window to exit.
Playing /home/lgromanowski/.config/openmw/Data Files/Music/Explore/mx_explore_2.mp3
Quitting peacefully.
with (only user and mw paths are valid and exist on filesystem):

Code: Select all

$ cat /home/lgromanowski/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg
data=?local?Data2
data="?user?Data Files"
data=?global?Data22
data="?mw?Data Files"
master=Morrowind.esm
master=Bloodmoon.esm
master=Tribunal.esm
@BrotherBrick:
I have installed boost-1.48 - maybe this is the problem. Could you check which version of boost do you have?