consultations etc.

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Okulo

Re: consultations etc.

Post by Okulo »

What will the skill book issue end up as? Instead of "Attribute" it will be "Skill" and the appropriate skill tied to it, I presume?
Zini

Post by Zini »

That's how it already looks, both in OpenMW and in OpenCS. What you see in the OpenCS is really just a wrong record-type/column association.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

@Zini, what else can we actually describe in the manual at this point? If nothing I will look into glossary that HPish mentioned earlier.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I think the verifier tool is not in the manual yet. Beyond that, not terribly much. Right now no one is working on the CS, so we are not getting any new features.

Hm, have we decided already what we are going to do about scripting? Are we going to include a full manual for the scripting language? Or are we describing the improvements/changes only? Or do we keep the scripting completely out of the manual (since it isn't really a feature of the CS)?
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

@Sir, Zini: Can manual be merged with master? If manual sources would be merged, then I could setup auto-building of PDF from it (based on Redmine trigger).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Merged.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Zini wrote:Merged.
Thanks!
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I think the verifier tool is not in the manual yet.
Right. That's the good place to start. I will try to find info on forums about this later ;-)
Hm, have we decided already what we are going to do about scripting?
No.

In fact I think that this belongs to the OpenCS just as anything else. Single manual has the benefit of being SINGLE, that is: any quite obvious place to start learning anything. The problem is, that I find this task quite overwhelming, especially when looking at "Scripting for dummies". That thing is 230 pages long. Some things there are clearly redundant in context of full manual, some are not needed, and overall that book is clearly far from being lakonic yet still ─ that is something I won't dare to start without expirence in the area of MW scripts.

That being said, I don't know what to do here.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Based on your single manual for everything, there is more stuff missing:

- Description of the different reference types. This is fairly important, actually. The exact capabilities of the different types aren't that intuitive.
- Description of the fields of all the records. Currently we have some of the fields for Cells and Regions. We probably want to move that out of the table chapter, since these (and additional fields) will also be editable in the dialogue sub views (once these are implemented).
- Description of the GMSTs
- Description of certain global variables that are used by the engine (e.g. hour)

Regarding scripts: We are not exactly in a hurry, but there is a huge area to cover, so starting early might be wise.

I can't find any licensing information for scripting for dummies. If the licenses are compatible, we could just take a large chunk of it (properly crediting the source, obviously) and modify it where necessary (which would still be in a lot of places). If the license is not compatible, maybe we can find some other documentation that serves as a base?
If that doesn't work, then I am out of ideas what to do about this problem.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Yacoby is the author. We can contact him once again (He used to work on OpenMW at some time). That is the best we can do at the moment.

PS
At least It is clear what needs to be done know.