Issue 1000 Shenanigans

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
werdanith

Issue 1000 Shenanigans

Post by werdanith »

With the upcoming issue #1000 on the bugtracker, I thought maybe we could set it up as a symbolic milestone.

For reference there was ubuntu's bug #1 entitled "Microsoft has a majority market share" which was marked as fixed a few months ago due to the spread of android.
Inspired by that bug there's also wine's bug #10000 "The original win32 api implementation is still more popular than wine."

On that mindset we could set up bug #1000 as "Morrowind.exe is still the dominant game engine implementation for experiencing the Morrowind World" or something along those lines.
I'm aware that it would not count as an actual bug impacting game performance and that it would probably impossible to measure but I think it would stand as a interesting symbolic milestone, and could probably bring some publicity.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on this?
Zini

Re: Issue 1000 Shenanigans

Post by Zini »

Fine with me. Try reminding me again of that once we are closer to 1000 (or add it yourself, if we happen to be at 999).
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Ok, here's the description of the bug I came up with. Hopefully it's not overly verbose and poetic. I'm open to suggestions:
Title: Bethesda's Morrowind is still predominantly played with its original engine

Morrowind is a great game to play and a beautiful world to experience. And through the years, modders have expanded it to every imaginable direction. The last piece of the game that remained static, since it's pretty hard to alter, is the game engine. It is a piece of software built on decade old technology, that runs on only one OS, has a long list of known bugs and has held back the capabilities of modders since the game's release.

It's our vision, that Morrowind could be so much more with a new, living engine that would reinvigorate and immortalize the game and give creators all the tools they need to materialize their visions.

For this reason, we set the goal of building an alternative engine that is so good that most Morrowind players in the future will prefer it as the default vessel to experience the Morrowind world.

This issue drew inspiration from the following bugs:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10000

Anyone, feel free to post it when we're up to bug 999 and I'm not around, unless there is a way to interject it earlier.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Sleeping, was a bad idea, evidently.
1010 has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

No, just copy the 1000 bug (here) to 1002 or 1003, etc. etc. (line by line, if you can't just move "Disappearing/flickering ceiling in Mababi" outright) and then modify 1000 to your text, and change the author to either werdanith or Zini, so Vincent Beers doesn't receive emails about this. Zini had already ok'd the plan before the current #1000 got posted, so I don't think there will be a problem. Vincent Beers certainly shouldn't care, right? :D

Zini, you can do this, right?
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Well, if Zini's up for it, I don't have the permissions, but this might be overkill.
Changing the author requires a plugin too.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

werdanith wrote:Well, if Zini's up for it, I don't have the permissions, but this might be overkill.
Give me few moments, I'll edit database.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

lgromanowski wrote:
werdanith wrote:Well, if Zini's up for it, I don't have the permissions, but this might be overkill.
Give me few moments, I'll edit database.
Done: http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/1000 :)
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

lgromanowski wrote:Done: http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/1000 :)
Awesome :D
Thanks lgro :)
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Thanks, lgro! This should be fun.