Dialogue/info

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Zini

Dialogue/info

Post by Zini »

I justed started to look into how to handle dialogue and info records in OpenCS. For whatever reason MW mixes a variety of (mostly) unrelated record types in the dialogue record (topic, voice, greeting, persuasion, journal). For each of these only a subset of the fields in the associated info records are valid.

Now I need to figure out which info fields are valid for which dialogue types, because we are going to split dialogue records up into separate tables. This will allow us to reduce clutter greatly.
I think topic and greeting might be equivalent and I am pretty sure I understand journal. But that still leaves me with some holes.

The easiest way to sort that out would be to fire up the original CS and look at the dialogue window. The CS grays out invalid fields (IIRC) and we can hope that this is at least somewhat accurate.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out yet where my MW discs went and I don't have the time to start a hunt for them now. Is there anyone around with the original CS installed in front of him, who could quickly make a few screenshots and post them here, so I can use them as reference? What we need is basically one screenshot per dialogue type, each with one info record selected.
potatoesmaster

Re: Dialogue/info

Post by potatoesmaster »

Here you go! (1/2)

Topic, greeting and persuasion seems to use the same fields. Voice add a sound file.
For these (topic, greeting, persuasion, voice), selecting an actor id grays out race, class, faction, rank and sex.
Journal is a totally different thing.
Attachments
Voice (no id selected)
Voice (no id selected)
Voice (id selected)
Voice (id selected)
Topic (no id selected)
Topic (no id selected)
Topic (id selected)
Topic (id selected)
Last edited by potatoesmaster on 18 Oct 2013, 12:47, edited 3 times in total.
potatoesmaster

Post by potatoesmaster »

Continued (2/2)
Attachments
Journal
Journal
Persuasion (no id selected)
Persuasion (no id selected)
Persuasion (id selected)
Persuasion (id selected)
Greeting (no id selected)
Greeting (no id selected)
Greeting (id selected)
Greeting (id selected)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Thank you.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay, that looks less chaotic than I thought. I have come to the conclusion that journal is the only odd case here. Everything else does fit together in one table. I am also considering allowing sound files for topic, greeting and persuasion. While not supported by MW and currently not implement in OpenMW, this would a very easy addition, that could be done even for 1.0.