Icons: Visiual Metaphors

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
sirherrbatka

Re: Icons: Visiual Metaphors

Post by sirherrbatka »

Good! We have those.

Now about filter icon. I suggest to simply use KDE oxygen filter icon (funnel). At least some users are familiar with KDE, and surely know this icon from dolphin.

Opinions?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

It seems that we miss two more icons for
Referenceables
References

I have no idea how those should look. Maybe something around chain link?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

It is silent. Very silent.
Nomadic1

Post by Nomadic1 »

No ideas. :?
graffy

Post by graffy »

Hmmm... I think the funnel icon is reasonably universal. I know I've seen it frequently enough in Windows apps that the meaning of it should be relatively obvious.

So far as references / referenceables go, what exactly is the difference? I have an idea, but I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with the data types in the editor.

Chain links aren't a bad idea, though they usually imply hyperlinks / attachments...

Similar idioms I can think of would be the shortcut icon in Windows (the application icon with a small curved arrow overlaid). That's actually consistent with a C++ "pointer" (literally "->") which is a reference of sorts.

In fact... if a referenceable / reference "refer to" data which already has an icon developed for it (like weapon, for example), why not simply reproduce the referenced data's associated icon and just overlay an arrow? I don't know if you can combine two images into one like that in Qt, but it should be possible...
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

Not sure why the icons are an issue. As long as what they represent is explained in some for of documentation/readme, people can learn to associate the new icon with its new use, so it shouldn't really matter if it's a funnel or a platypus.
Zini

Post by Zini »

So far as references / referenceables go, what exactly is the difference? I have an idea, but I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with the data types in the editor.
In OOP speak, a referencable is a class and a reference is an object. We already have icons for individual types of referenceables (weapons, armor, potions, ...), but we will also need an icon that covers all of them.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

How about a book with those little squiggle lines representing words(you know when you dont want to actually put something) and a hand with a finger pointing at the page like reading it. Good if the icon is large enough I guess and no better or worse than anything else.

I use windows, and I dont think I have ever seen the funnel icon and I go trawling all over the place through the files. I have even set icons for shortcuts and I dont think I have seen a funnel.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I like pointing hand idea, but we already use book icon — this could be a little confusing.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

sirherrbatka wrote:I like pointing hand idea, but we already use book icon — this could be a little confusing.
Can use a scroll instead. Single page reference material is everywhere.