Application - Riverwolf

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Riverwolf

Application - Riverwolf

Post by Riverwolf »

Hi!

As a huge fan of Morrowind and budding game developer, I wish to offer my abilities to this project!

I must point out that I'm still a bit of a beginner when it comes to programming, but I hope to use this project as a learning experience for C++ game development, and I'm willing to learn and am capable of solving problems more or less on my own. I had some problems setting up the OpenMW development environment (specifically getting Ogre to install; I had to compile the source directly), but I managed to get around them and currently the build of OpenMW appears to run (though I haven't added any of the Morrowind files to it, yet, to be absolutely sure, but when I run ./openmw, it's behaving pretty much how I'd expect it to behave in that situation.)

I'm a semi-novice Linux user, running Linux Mint 15.

I'm pretty competent at programming procedurally, and am still a bit green when it comes to Object-Oriented Programming (I still am not 100% comfortable with inheritance and I haven't really used polymorphism on any personal projects, yet), and pointers still confuse me a bit. However, I'm currently using small personal projects to help me learn these concepts efficiently, so I hope that within a few months of working on this project, these aspects will become as second nature to me as making sure all variables are initialized.

I must point out that my experience with graphics programming is pretty much nonexistent beyond playing around with Allegro a few months ago. But as with all things, I'm willing to learn.
Zini

Re: Application - Riverwolf

Post by Zini »

Welcome. Please to make sure to go though all the points of the new developer checklist (see pinned thread).

I said time after time that we are short on beginners task, but now it finally happened. There are no more OpenMW beginner tasks left. All remaining tasks are hard and even of these we don't have many left (mostly because we are only a few releases away from completing 1.0).

However there are still plenty of tasks left for OpenCS (our editor). How about this one:

* Editor: GMST verifier

?

The complexity is moderate and its not urgent at all. The coding is relatively simple and there are enough examples in the code base. I guess researching the GMSTs would be the hardest part about it.
Riverwolf

Post by Riverwolf »

Sounds great! I'll do what I can.

Is there anything I need to be aware of beyond the things in the Developer's Checklist?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Don't think so. The checklist is pretty complete, even some some of the pages linked from it are slightly outdated. But that shouldn't be a problem.
Riverwolf

Post by Riverwolf »

Sweet. How do I get that project onto my issue tracker page?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I still am not 100% comfortable with inheritance and I haven't really used polymorphism on any personal projects, yet
Don't worry, this is not as complicated as it looks at first. ;-)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Riverwolf wrote:Sweet. How do I get that project onto my issue tracker page?
Done.