Startup Window - Icon Request

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Tolchock

Re: Startup Window - Icon Request

Post by Tolchock »

A lurker's two cents: I think the 'New Game' option on the left is more intuitive, but not particularly a big deal. However, as a non-programmer, I find 'Edit A Content File' deeply un-intuitive, because it is not immediately clear that game files and addons = content files (it could be just another arbitrary name for a specific file-type). I think a better option would be 'Edit An Existing File' (and, if you want to be pedantic, think about changing the 'A' to lowercase 'a' ;) ).
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Zini wrote:Feel free to discuss it further (would only take a minute to change it back, if there is a consent).
I think New Game on the left is also more intuitive because of the natural progression of first creating a game, and then creating addons for it, and then editing them. Putting the buttons in this order would be for reasons of aesthetics.

But it still stands that it will be much more rare for people to click Create A New Game than it will be for them to click Edit A Content File, and I think my argument for the natural tendency for our eyes to start on the left is validation enough to switch them around again to put the most often used button on the left, and the least used on the right. Putting the buttons in this order would be for reasons of usability.

I think usability should trump aesthetics in this case.
So I would go with: Edit File -> New Addon -> New Game
Last edited by Greendogo on 09 Sep 2013, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Can we just call it good? We are trying to make startup window that can rival with Bach compositions when it come to perfectness? This layout will work, and typical user will spend up to 30 seconds per day using it but no more (unless he want to admire this pretty icons for a moment).

;-)
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Greendogo wrote:
Zini wrote:Feel free to discuss it further (would only take a minute to change it back, if there is a consent).
So I would go with: Edit File -> New Addon -> New Game
My vote like that as well. Sorted in level of complexity.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Actually I have to agree that New Game on the left feels more natural. Many languages read from left to right so starting at the beginning would make sense.

I also like those icons that zini posted.