[PR] Big fish - interview

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
sirherrbatka

Re: [PR] Big fish - Trailer

Post by sirherrbatka »

"Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here."

Clear?

Anyway. I think We don't have a lot to show at this point, but We can invite folks from TR to interview us. They will surely ask questions that will go to the core of morrowind modding community problems, we will be able to reach more community this way, get more impression about what are the demands (We already know, but we can pretend that We care ;-)) and in general get few additional PR points.

In the end WeirdSexy could make video of it or something…
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

sirherrbatka wrote:"Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here."
Clear?
Yes, I'm horrible with choosing the right subforum :oops:.
Guess I just wasn't sure what kind of thread this would wind up being (bad excuse).
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zedd wrote:I did all that, but i won't be posting the rest of the conversation of course :). I actually said the exact same thing you are saying for posting his introduction speech here.
Awesome, just keep us posted.

I agree we should keep our videos hosted on our channel, but if they want to spotlight any of our videos that'd be cool, and any interview/article/feature that we can help them with will only drive traffic to the project, and that's a good thing. As for a trailer, we'd definitely want to do it closer to 1.0, unless it was just some kind of teaser for fun. Don't think of it as a technical overview like our other videos, but instead just something short and fun to drive interest, not to explain the details of the project.

Also would our FAQ video be a good one to spotlight? I haven't looked at it in a while, but I seem to remember it being sort of a "first in a series" video, and we haven't followed up with another one since? Any ideas on that?
CaptainShack

Post by CaptainShack »

Hello Everyone!

So lets clarify a few things. First of all my channel "TheXpGamers" is dedicated to spotlighting awesome work coming out of the Modding Community. I'm happy to share any videos that help the OpenMW Project. Videos who's purpose is to bring people to your project or explain what the project is in detail for example. A Large update video that has the goal of explaining what OpenMW is for example would be fine. I don't want to take over for your current channel's dev updates. They are fantastic!

Dev leads will have full control of any video that you want hosted. So if you want it taken down, or replaced. The project leads have full control.

When the release for OpenMW comes out I will be doing an Episode of "Mod Library" I do them every Wednesday. Where I Spotlight 1 mod in detail. These get posted on my channel and On TGN Hub Channel. I can also put out a full trailer for TGN if its quality is high, "which I'm sure it would be coming out of this community". On to TGN Central to help spread the word and get more mod authors working inside the new engine. Which I highly look forward to.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Thanks for joining up to clarify CaptainShack! And thanks for having an eye on our project. :)
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Is it possible to make some kind of a spotlight video about OpenMW in conjunction with the interview or are they supposed to be separated, because you were planning to do the interview for another site and things wouldn't fit in on your channel?

The projects popularity has gone up a lot since last time Zine, Ace and Scrawl did a small interview and I think there are a lot of people that will be very interested in a new one, especially since we can begin to smell the coming of v1.0. Combining this with some general information about OpenMW and it's team, some in game footage and you admiring this project would be some nice publicity indeed. ;)

What exactly are you thinking of CaptainShack?
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

raevol wrote: Also would our FAQ video be a good one to spotlight? I haven't looked at it in a while, but I seem to remember it being sort of a "first in a series" video, and we haven't followed up with another one since? Any ideas on that?
No, it's a little outdated. My bad on not following up, I was really busy at times, but I really don't have an excuse for not doing any more by now.

Still, I've begun to think that instead of doing videos that answer large groups of questions, it would be better do videos for individual questions or small groups of closely-related questions. This seems easier for people to search and get answers for specific questions.

So we might end up with a playlist like:
OpenMW FAQ #1 - What is OpenMW?
OpenMW FAQ #2 - Graphics Improvements?
OpenMW FAQ #3 - Physics Improvements?
OpenMW FAQ #4 - UI Improvements?
OpenMW FAQ #5 - Gameplay Improments?
OpenMW FAQ #6 - Modding Advantages?
OpenMW FAQ #7 - System Requirements?
OpenMW FAQ #8 - Multiplayer?
OpenMW FAQ #9 - Porting to mobile devices?
OpenMW FAQ #10 - Modding Advantages?
OpenMW FAQ #11 - How to install?
...etc

Not to mention this would make it much easier for me to regularly churn out videos.

Also, I picture the OpenMW 1.0 trailer just being teaser shots of Morrowind being played with OpenMW, showing how it looks and maybe some UI/Gameplay changes that are implemented and/or modded by then. But maybe I'm not very creative.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Hey CaptainShack, thanks for clarifying!
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

@WeirdSexy

You definitely have to mention somewhere in your FAQ OpenMW's main goal is to improve the engine and editor post v1.0 instead of adding features themselves.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Greendogo wrote:I think the interview bit sounds pretty cool. Perhaps Zini or another top-level dev would be up for the interview?

When he says "Also I would be happy to spotlight and host any videos that you guys would like." Does he mean host, as in narrate our release videos? Or host, as in on his YouTube Channel? In either case, I don't know why we would do that. First of all, WeirdSexy is the man and that's that. Second, if he means hosting our videos on his YouTube Channel, that would limit our control over content.

Also, he assumes that we're going to have a trailer at some point, and maybe we will. But we've only ever released a (great) video for every version, and a FAQ video. Do you all feel like we NEED a trailer? I don't, unless it's at version 1.0. Maybe he's talking about a 1.0 trailer?
You could always have a short teaser trailer which contains at the end a mention of the OpenMW channel and a link to it. (There can be clickable links in both video annotations and the info paragraph; and the text addresses of the channel and site at the end of the video.) Then there's no need for misgivings about it. People get exposed to OpenMW, and if they want to find more they know where to look.