[PR] Big fish - interview

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zedd

[PR] Big fish - interview

Post by Zedd »

Today I noticed we had an e-mail on our ModDB account.
Hello!

My Name is Robert Shackleton a.k.a CaptainShack. I host the channel TheXpGamers on YouTube where we support the modding community, I'm also a senior director for my Network TGN "The Gamer Nation". I just wanted to start up a conversation with you guys, letting you know that the modding community is really interested in your project. I can't wait to get the chance to play through morrowind in your new engine. Also I would be happy to spotlight and host any videos that you guys would like. Your dev logs have been fantastic. Well done! When you have a trailer ready for your mod I'd like to put a copy on TheXpGamers I know my audience would be very interested and I'd like to pitch your trailer to TGN "240,000 subscriber channel" to get it uploaded.

Eventually I want to do a Mod Library Episode on your mod, and an interview with you guys for the channel and the website ModLb.Com

Take care!
So, good news we're getting the attention of some big fish out there, it's about time we get the attention we deserve :).

Made me think about the 'trailer', what are we aiming for? In game footage or more like a spotlight of the editor? Since the in-game footage won't showing the people anything but an 11 year old game I guess a little showcase of the capabilities of our new engine+editor is the way to go.

Also, who's in for an interview!
raevol

Re: [PR] Big fish - Trailer

Post by raevol »

We need to get somebody to do a bass remix of the Morrowind Theme. :D Then we can fade from the original MW theme into the remix. :D :D :D
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I agree that it would be awesome if we had some Morrowind ost-inspired metal/bass remix music made specifically for OpenMW. It would also be sweet if we had pro-looking video intro graphic with like our logo emerging out of the fires of Red Mountain first as Daedric rune that melt/morph into the regular letters.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zedd did you reply to the guy on ModDB? Might want to point him here and suggest he make a forum account to continue the discussion. We are an open source project, so it'll be hard for him to discuss this without engaging the whole team.
gus

Post by gus »

Igro won't be happy, it would kill his server :lol:
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Cloudflare.... let them take care of the DDoS (slashdot/reddit/digg effect). :)
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

gus wrote:Igro won't be happy, it would kill his server :lol:
It won't kill a server ;)
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I think the interview bit sounds pretty cool. Perhaps Zini or another top-level dev would be up for the interview?

When he says "Also I would be happy to spotlight and host any videos that you guys would like." Does he mean host, as in narrate our release videos? Or host, as in on his YouTube Channel? In either case, I don't know why we would do that. First of all, WeirdSexy is the man and that's that. Second, if he means hosting our videos on his YouTube Channel, that would limit our control over content.

Also, he assumes that we're going to have a trailer at some point, and maybe we will. But we've only ever released a (great) video for every version, and a FAQ video. Do you all feel like we NEED a trailer? I don't, unless it's at version 1.0. Maybe he's talking about a 1.0 trailer?
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

raevol wrote:Zedd did you reply to the guy on ModDB? Might want to point him here and suggest he make a forum account to continue the discussion. We are an open source project, so it'll be hard for him to discuss this without engaging the whole team.
I did all that, but i won't be posting the rest of the conversation of course :). I actually said the exact same thing you are saying for posting his introduction speech here.

I also talked about the goals of the OpenMW team for and post version 1.0, made clear we will be prioritizing improving the engine/editor instead of changing vanilla mechanics and that if everything went well, And if he would be doing a playthrough with the new engine, it wouldn't be that fancy because it should look exactly the same as with the vanilla engine (taking away some graphical enhancements).
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Greendogo wrote:When he says "Also I would be happy to spotlight and host any videos that you guys would like." Does he mean host, as in narrate our release videos? Or host, as in on his YouTube Channel? In either case, I don't know why we would do that. First of all, WeirdSexy is the man and that's that. Second, if he means hosting our videos on his YouTube Channel, that would limit our control over content.
I agree here, any content mady by us should be posted on our own channel, mostly because there are a lot of questions asked we can easily manage that way.I guess once we start posting our videos on "The Gaming Nation" channel the majority of the new people will be following the project from their channel, instead of ours, and that's not what we want.
But let us not forget the importance of the popularity of this project. Without our hoped for modding community this project wouldn't live up to it's expectations and that would be a shame.
Once we get post v1.0 and mods start spawning all over the place, an extra popular channel to spotlight these creations would be more than welcome.
Greendogo wrote:Also, he assumes that we're going to have a trailer at some point, and maybe we will. But we've only ever released a (great) video for every version, and a FAQ video. Do you all feel like we NEED a trailer? I don't, unless it's at version 1.0. Maybe he's talking about a 1.0 trailer?
No, we won't be needing a pre-v1.0 trailer, for me our release commentary videos are our little trailers for every version that is released. I always assumed this was about the v1.0 trailer.
raevol wrote:We need to get somebody to do a bass remix of the Morrowind Theme. :D Then we can fade from the original MW theme into the remix. :D :D :D
WeirdSexy wrote:I agree that it would be awesome if we had some Morrowind ost-inspired metal/bass remix music made specifically for OpenMW. It would also be sweet if we had pro-looking video intro graphic with like our logo emerging out of the fires of Red Mountain first as Daedric rune that melt/morph into the regular letters.
I agree that would spice up the trailer, still, what we are aiming for is to attract a big modding community which will be our source of new and interesting features/mods for OpenMW, they will undoubtedly be at the core of OpenMW's popularity. What we should be showing is what makes OpenMW so interesting for them, that being the power of the editor of course, and that's why we have our example suite. It would be neat if we could showcase several different features that are now easily customizable but were before one hell of a job/impossible to achieve. I can't stress this out enough, in my short career of being a PR-guy it's been very striking how most people couldn't oversee the possibilities of this engine/editor. I literally had to spell it out for them before they were like "OMGthatsamazingwauwgreatprojectthismeansMorrowindMULTIPLAYER?!?!?"

WHO'S WITH ME!!!! ;)

p.s. Are you already with us Captainshack?