Art assets

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Faelian

Re: Art assets

Post by Faelian »

That would be insane, we better just stick to Bethesda's skeleton.

Anyway, from now on i have some free time so let the animating begin! (small note: i make my animations rather slowly, i can't spend a lot of hours daily and i'm animating frame-by-frame to get the best results possible)
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Feel free to use this as an update location if you like.
Faelian

Post by Faelian »

Ok, for now i've finished Idle and i'm polishing WalkForward. I need to slow it down a little bit, because with usual speed and athletics the animation turns out too fast and therefore looks very unnatural. Other than that, i think that after some changes and upgrades here and there it should look pretty good.
Last edited by Faelian on 22 Jul 2013, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

Surely one could rig one of the race mod models to a new skeleton?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

This would require creaing our very own clothes and armor since avaible content is created for crazy Morrowind skeletons.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

Well I'm pretty sure that's what we have to do...
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

After thinking about it for a while, I've decided that no, it's not.

The goal here is the power to distribute what we make. The NIF files containing the Race Body models are distributable (and there is much precedence for that), and they are the artifacts that contain the skeleton. The skeleton is an inseparable part of a NIF file. Creating an animation file (which are call KF files) has been done before. And these animation files have been distributed before.

There is a lot of precedence for what we are doing here. These are not files being created with the Bethesda Construction Set. These are files made using programs like NifTools and 3Ds Max or Blender.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

Mod makers routinely distribute stuff not-quite-legally.
A texture pack that uses modified versions of the original textures is copyright infringement, so is a modified model, and I am reasonably sure, so is a skeleton.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I looked it up and you're right. :D Damn. This means there are now many things we cannot use that we originally intended to use, but that's kind of the point of this Suite in the first place.

Faelian is NOT going to be happy, since he has already done a lot of work.

Now it falls to me to ask, can anyone prepare a totally IP free body model with custom skeleton and... sigh... animations?
Faelian

Post by Faelian »

Don't worry, i didn't do that much :P

Anyway, to be honest, morrowind REALLY need new skeleton. The old one is just bad and it makes terrible limitations to animations, clothing and body. Apparently, i could do a new body, rig it to a new skeleton and then make animations for it. It'd be hell a lot of work, and would take months, but in fact, it needs to be done now or in the future. Morrowind modding community can have amazing modelers, perfect texturers, and extremally skilled animators, but we WILL NOT get a nice-looking body, animations and so on just because original skeleton makes so much limitations. So i don't want to promise anything, because it really is very tedious and time-consuming work, and i can't promise i will ever be able to finish it, but i'll see what i can do.