A place for OpenMW mods

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
ezzetabi

A place for OpenMW mods

Post by ezzetabi »

Since we do not mean to host OpenMW mods (See Zini comment about) I was thinking that I might make a site devoted to it.
I have an almost unused server, I need an impetus to learn html5 and css3, and I would like to contribute...

It would be a repository of (free and libre) OpenMW mod with description, pictures, comments... the usual really.

What do you think? (Too early or unneeded maybe?)
Zini

Re: A place for OpenMW mods

Post by Zini »

The last time I checked (admittedly a while back) there were plenty of sites that are hosting MW content. I am sure it wouldn't take much effort to convince them to also accept content that requires OpenMW.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

It is also true that many places accept non-free content bringing to lots of nice and hard to use content. But I get your point. Too bad.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

I am sure that Fliggerty would have no problem with this. He already hosts like everything.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Hmm I've been playing around with this idea as well, and I really would like to make the Launcher a sort of package manager for mods. Something like what KDE has for Plasma add-ons and wallpapers. That would make mod installation and deletion a whole lot easier.
Chris

Post by Chris »

pvdk wrote:Hmm I've been playing around with this idea as well, and I really would like to make the Launcher a sort of package manager for mods. Something like what KDE has for Plasma add-ons and wallpapers. That would make mod installation and deletion a whole lot easier.
Perhaps we could port/extend Wrye Mash. Or see if Nexus Mod Manager would accept code contributions for a Linux port as well as supporting Morrowind (the nexus site does have a Morrowind section).

Mod management needs much more to work with than simply installing/uninstalling mods. You have to have ways of detecting and dealing with conflicts (some of which may be fatal, others not), changing install order (praise be Wrye Mash's anneal function), etc. Some mods may even have options for what parts of it you want to install. Savegame and screenshot browsers would be nice, too, as well as handling INI tweaks. Mlox integration would be good as well.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

IMO, checking conflicts is unnecessary.
The user's not an idiot, if they install two overhauls of Balmora, tehy should know it's not going to work.
What I'd like to see would be something quite similar to OBMM for oblivion, which I think was better even than NMM.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

OBMM is awesome.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Chris wrote:
pvdk wrote:Hmm I've been playing around with this idea as well, and I really would like to make the Launcher a sort of package manager for mods. Something like what KDE has for Plasma add-ons and wallpapers. That would make mod installation and deletion a whole lot easier.
Perhaps we could port/extend Wrye Mash. Or see if Nexus Mod Manager would accept code contributions for a Linux port as well as supporting Morrowind (the nexus site does have a Morrowind section).

Mod management needs much more to work with than simply installing/uninstalling mods. You have to have ways of detecting and dealing with conflicts (some of which may be fatal, others not), changing install order (praise be Wrye Mash's anneal function), etc. Some mods may even have options for what parts of it you want to install. Savegame and screenshot browsers would be nice, too, as well as handling INI tweaks. Mlox integration would be good as well.
This is so correct. Something like Wrye Mash is definitly needed. I have literally a couple hundred mods and even more replacers installed. No way I would have been able to keep track of everything without wrye mash.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

I tend to use UnionFS, it works fine to separate completely different view of the game. But I agree something official with OpenMW would be useful. On the other hand I would see useful a OpenMW-only mod site... so probably I am not the best to judge.

About conflict checker, I think it would be also useful. Of course if you use two Balmora expansions you can expect problems, but many other modification are much more subtle. For example, I remember there is an armor replacer for the Dark Brotherhood that also change the message you see when you got attacked by night. Apparently it was not in conflict with my reputation-based-attack mod, but in fact it was.