Having trouble running in Ubuntu

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
taknamay

Re: Having trouble running in Ubuntu

Post by taknamay »

Well I have no clue what could be going on then :I
heWhoWearsAshes

Post by heWhoWearsAshes »

Bringing this back from the dead again:

I took a look at my openmw.cfg file after getting the game running (it was a problem with my data files, my friend gave me a bad copy), and it looks the same. If that's the case, the ini import failed still. Using the importer will tell me the ini file doesn't exist (even though I can tab to complete the filename). How can I still play the game if the ini import fails?

openmw-0.24.0/openmw.cfg:

Code: Select all

data="?global?data"
data="?mw?Data Files"
data-local="?local?data"
resources=./resources
mwiniimport output:

johnd@zombie:~/Games$ ./openmw-0.24.0/mwiniimport -v -i morrowind/Morrowind.ini -c openmw-0.24.0/openmw.cfg 
ini file does not exist
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

You are not supposed to run the importer yourself, this is part of the OpenMW installation when you first run the launcher.

Zini: any advice?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Actually, running the importer from the command line is fine, if you know what you are doing. Obviously it would be better to figure out why running the importer through the launcher does not work.

What you are showing here is the global openmw.cfg file (or rather the local one, which is almost the same). You should not try to change that. Ever. There should be a openmw.cfg in the user location (~/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg); may not exist yet, if you don't run through the launcher). That is what you want to import into. But that does not explain why you are getting this error message.

The code that contains this message is dead simple. I rarely dare to say that, but there is no way we have a bug in the importer regarding this function. To make sure I just tested with the same setup as yours (well, openmw-0.24.0 was called test instead and morrowind was called build instead; but that shouldn't make any difference). Worked flawlessly. There must be a problem elsewhere. Somewhere, you have not shown yet. But I have no idea what that could be.
heWhoWearsAshes

Oh-kay, right you are. The ~/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg is healthily populated and looks good. But when I run the importer, I still get that error message.

Just to be clear, I didn't mean that the game won't run. It works (I think). I was just irked a bit by that error message if the game seemed to be running.

Also for some peace of mind, what comes up for you guys when the game starts? I get some unclothed dude that can run through walls in beshara. And when I look at my console again, I get that same ogre error that I got last time:

Error in framelistener: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource meshes\a\a_netch_f_cuirass.nif in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/kfg/ogre/ogre-1.8.1/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Nope. Not seeing this error message. Everything else sounds about right.
heWhoWearsAshes

Then what does that error message mean?
Zini

Post by Zini »

There is a resources file searched for in the data directories and in the bsa archives in the data directories, that can not be found. In other words this file is not there.

Does this help you in any way?
heWhoWearsAshes

No, I mean the ogre error message:

Error in framelistener: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource meshes\a\a_netch_f_cuirass.nif in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/kfg/ogre/ogre-1.8.1/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756)
And the link didn't help. That was the way I installed the expansions.
Zini

Post by Zini »

This error message is what I was referring to. Something is wrong with your MW installation or the way OpenMW is pointed to it.