Dead keys do not work

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Okulo

Dead keys do not work

Post by Okulo »

In many keyboard layouts, including the US-International layout, one creates quotation marks by pressing shift-' and then pressing space. As of version 0.24.0-RC1, this still does not work in the console - it will just space without the quotes. This is quite problematic if you need to use quotation marks for anything. Any kind of dead key will just not work, be it ', ", `, ~ or anything else.

Please ensure compatibility with US-International and other keyboard layouts.
silentthief

Re: Dead keys do not work

Post by silentthief »

yeah, don't know if this is build-specific (I'm on ubuntu 12.4) but you can remap the controls for some keys in-game using options. this was the only way I could open the console

ST
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Opening the console is F2 by default though.
Zini

Post by Zini »

silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Okulo wrote:Opening the console is F2 by default though.
yeah, I know. I was just letting OP know how I dealt with it. It might help if original post included operating system.
I have an HP presario laptop came preloaded with win7 and a ton of bloatware, put linux on it instead (ubuntu 12.4) and not sure if it has problem with F2 on all programs or just this, will look into it. The switch to linux did affect some things such as not being able to use prebuilt internal wifi, but I've also heard that those laptops had issues with the internal wifi and other stuff breaking after 4 months or so.

ST
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

My main OS is Windows 7.

Dealing with the issue by rebinding your console key is different, though. In its current state I cannot go to, say, the Caldera Mages Guild because I'd need to type coc "Caldera, Guild of Mages". With the dead keys issue you cannot type the ", and you cannot rebind that.

Thanks for putting it on the bugtracker.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Its been ages since I have touched Windows (except for playing games on it). But can't you input characters by holding down the alt key and entering the ASCII code of the character on the numeric keypad? (that would be 34 for ").
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Zini wrote:Its been ages since I have touched Windows (except for playing games on it). But can't you input characters by holding down the alt key and entering the ASCII code of the character on the numeric keypad? (that would be 34 for ").
Yes you can.

¥ ¿ ƒ
And I just did some random characters like that.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

That's a nice workaround until OpenMW understands US-International keyboards and other dead key enabled layouts at least.