Icons: emblems

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
sirherrbatka

Re: Icon emblems

Post by sirherrbatka »

Ok I finally get this.

I think one or two or three squares with contrast colors on top of icon will do the job.

Example:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2899105/weapon.svg
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not convinced. Unless you know what these mean, you won't be able to figure out what these emblems stand for. I am starting to think that simple colour markers are not good for this purpose.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I can use something else but this depends on how big this icons should be. Maybe instead of adding this directly to the icon we can have multiple icons? One to indicate what is this, and second to indicate the group.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Too complicated and anyway it wouldn't work in some places (for example when the icon is used in a drag and drop operation).
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

This can be putted into container. Good metaphor?
Zini

Post by Zini »

At least better than what we had before. We will have to see how it pans out in concert with the two other emblems. I think we should throw around a few more ideas, before we settle on something.

The placement does not look so good (takes too much space). Maybe a smaller emblem in one of the corners instead?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

like this?

I'm afraid that this will be to small, unless we want to use big icons (48x48).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Actually, that looks okay to me.

btw. we could use a few more people taking part in this discussion. I feel somewhat under qualified to make decisions about icon design.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

In my opinion, I think if there are going to be icon groups, the groups should all be represented by a different color. Yes thats been said, but the way you do this is to have all the icon of a group shaded in that color.
So for example the sword icon there. You could represent one category with the color green and the sword would be shaded green. Or you could have another purple and the sword wouldbe purple instead.

As for putting in container, I would put a chest in there with the sword above the chest and an arrow under it pointing towards the chest.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

As for putting in container, I would put a chest in there with the sword above the chest and an arrow under it pointing towards the chest.
This would be very clear indeed, but chest would need to be big and the dagger (yes, it's dagger. you want to have a dagger with a long blade if you want to kill someone) would need to be smaller.

I can commit on git now. I had problems to get started but werdanith helped me (thanks a lot!).