v0.22.0 video + script

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
WeirdSexy

v0.22.0 video + script

Post by WeirdSexy »

Please check this out and give critiques for style/accuracy. Of course, also let me know anything I'm leaving out. Thanks!
[INTRO]
Hello again, the OpenMW team has been slaving away over hot keyboards and as a result, we’ve released v0.22.0. This is a massive release and, as you'll see, somewhat of a milestone for the project. We’ll show you a few of it’s features here.

[ANIMATIONS]
We now have basic animations such as walking, running, sneaking, and swimming working interactively. No longer will you float about like some would-be lich while using OpenMW.

[MULTIPLE ESMS & ESPS]
OpenMW can now load multiple master and plugin files. As you can imagine, this is an extraordinarily complex feature and we still have some issues to work out. You'll probably be able to forgive that for now as you visit the majestic city of Mournhold, the harsh island of Solstheim, and the many user-created landscapes you may choose to load, such as these areas from the Tamriel Rebuilt project.

// We talked about showing a player traveling, on foot, from Mournhold or somewhere in
// Tamriel Rebuilt world-space to Solstheim.
// I like this idea, but it would be too long for the regular video. How about a separate video of this journey and an
// on-screen link to it while I'm talking about multiple esms and esps?
(Annotation: To view a video of an adventurer traveling from Mournhold to Thirsk, click here ... )

[DISPOSE OF CORPSE]
OpenMW now gives you the familiar option to discretely eliminate those pesky, incriminating, dead bodies that you may or may not leave in your wake.

[MAGIC EFFECTS ICONS]
The magical effects currently affecting the Player, found next to the mini-map, are now displayed by OpenMW.

[VANITY ZOOM]
Those of you who are particularly conceited will be happy to know that the vanity camera now has zoom capabilities allowing you a better view of that magnificent visage.

[TEXTURE ALPHAS]
OpenMW now properly supports the alpha channel of in-game textures. This is easy to see while viewing the spiral clouds of doom inside the crater of Red Mountain. ... Now these just need to be spinning and we’d be golden.

[LIGHTS BEHAVIOR]
The behavior of lights such as lamps and torches has been altered to more closely match that of vanilla Morrowind.

[LAUNCHER]
(Should I talk about/ show the launcher? I'm sure many people have never seen it before. If so, what all should I say/show besides playing with the checkboxes for loading mods and expansions?)

[OUTRO]
That's about all we can show in the way of user-visible features for now. But there are multiple technical features and no fewer than 60 bug fixes included in this release. You can read more about some of those if you go digging through our website. Those of you who don't follow the project on such a close level, just be aware that much more goes into these releases than what is shown in these videos. Anyway, keep an eye on the project and hopefully we'll have another sizable release before very long. Before you know it, you'll be exploring and shaping the events of Vvardenfell and beyond like never before. See you next time, and as always, thanks for watching.
TorbenC

Re: v0.22.0 video + script

Post by TorbenC »

It looks good to me (not a dev yet so this is purely scripture, not coverage).

Please do the intro in Vivec like you used to though (if you want to/can) I personally enjoyed those and missed it in the last one, something about skipping to the gameplay without doing that intro made it feel like it wasn't really an OpenMW update video, I don't know why.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

yes, launcher is now usefull since we have multiple game files support.

Edit:
what about showing in intro solstheim glacier instead this time? :D
Zini

Post by Zini »

Looks good.

I am okay with showing the launcher, though you shouldn't spend too much time on it since it should change substantially within the next one or two releases. Maybe it would be a good idea to also mention the need to run the ini importer (happening automatically when running the launcher for the first time). This will be mentioned in the release notes, but it wouldn't hurt to also have it mentioned in the video. Might cut down on the amount of support spam.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

WeirdSexy wrote:... you visit the majestic city of Mournhold, the harsh island of Solstheim, and the many user-created landscapes you may choose to load, such as these areas from the Tamriel Rebuilt project.

// We talked about showing a player traveling, on foot, from Mournhold or somewhere in
// Tamriel Rebuilt world-space to Solstheim.
// I like this idea, but it would be too long for the regular video. How about a separate video of this journey and an
// on-screen link to it while I'm talking about multiple esms and esps?
(Annotation: To view a video of an adventurer traveling from Mournhold to Thirsk, click here ... )
I take it from the first line there, that you'll be running around somewhere in TR, so I don't think you need to worry about running from Mournhold to Solstheim in another video since you'll already be showing off both the animation and ESM loading features. It'd be cute, sure, but not necessary.

Good script, btw!

If you wanted to take it a step further, you could go over the TR forums and ask if there's any spot in particular they'd like you to go through. That is, if there's any place they're particularly proud of, as kind of a joint PR-stunt.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

TorbenC, Sir_Herrbatka: How about intro Vivec, outro Mortrag glacier?

Zini, I'll do the launcher, and mention that it will be changing substantially. (Anything specific I can say to look forward to?)

Greendogo, the extra video is only supposed to be cute, not necessary :) I will do it because it won't take much time to do, (no editing involved) just start recording, run from one place to another, stop, encode, upload.

Also, good idea! I will register there and ask soon.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Zini, I'll do the launcher, and mention that it will be changing substantially. (Anything specific I can say to look forward to?)
The change is mostly about the new formats and the move away from the master/plugin system. I don't think it is a good idea to get into that now. As I wrote in this thread a separate video to cover this issue would be a better approach (might even be worth to additionally mention it in the second FAQ video, once we get to that).
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

TorbenC, Sir_Herrbatka: How about intro Vivec, outro Mortrag glacier?
This way you will lose your oppurtunity to say:

"Hello again. Yes: this is openmw and yes: this is Bloodmoon." :D
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

WeirdSexy wrote:TorbenC, Sir_Herrbatka: How about intro Vivec, outro Mortrag glacier?

Sounds awesome! :)
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

In case you weren't doing it already; running have less head shaking than walking.