about scripting feature

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
penguinroad

about scripting feature

Post by penguinroad »

Is there a plan on adding feature / fixing somewhat not-correctly-working feature in OpenMW?

for example AITravel, I tried to create schedule script for my npc, he started to in seyda neen Arielle tradehouse 2nd floor, walk to door, activate it, and then walk to tree stump where fargoth hides his money. To do this, i use aitravel, activate object, and then aitravel.

It runs fine at the beginning, but after my npc is outdoor, he doesn't walk to the tree stump. Instead he walk somewhere near silt strider and keep walking in place (I think he arrives at cell border and can't go on). I wish this behaviour can be fixed with Openmw scripting. Imagine how cool is it if NPC in morrowind walk around in schedule like in Oblivion/Skyrim.
or even better, an implementation of npc schedule feature would be awesome.

I also think addicional ReplaceItemCell function would be cool. Replacing house with burning one when bandit attack or burned down after those bandit leaves? or build house that takes 4 phase to finish?
ezzetabi

Re: about scripting feature

Post by ezzetabi »

Definitely. But it will be a post-1.0 work.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I also think addicional ReplaceItemCell function would be cool. Replacing house with burning one when bandit attack or burned down after those bandit leaves? or build house that takes 4 phase to finish?
there was any idea of "layers" to do just that some time ago.
Zini

Post by Zini »

for example AITravel, I tried to create schedule script for my npc, he started to in seyda neen Arielle tradehouse 2nd floor, walk to door, activate it, and then walk to tree stump where fargoth hides his money. To do this, i use aitravel, activate object, and then aitravel.

It runs fine at the beginning, but after my npc is outdoor, he doesn't walk to the tree stump. Instead he walk somewhere near silt strider and keep walking in place (I think he arrives at cell border and can't go on). I wish this behaviour can be fixed with Openmw scripting. Imagine how cool is it if NPC in morrowind walk around in schedule like in Oblivion/Skyrim.
or even better, an implementation of npc schedule feature would be awesome.
Actually that odes not have anything to do with scripting. I think I recognise the problem from your description. If an NPC moves out of AI-range while it still has an active AI package that currently involves moving around, something gets messed up and the whole AI functionality of the NPC until the game is reloaded or the cell he is in goes through an inactive -> active sequence.
As far as I am concerned that is a bug and we will certainly not replicate it in OpenMW.
penguinroad

Post by penguinroad »

Zini wrote: Actually that odes not have anything to do with scripting. I think I recognise the problem from your description. If an NPC moves out of AI-range while it still has an active AI package that currently involves moving around, something gets messed up and the whole AI functionality of the NPC until the game is reloaded or the cell he is in goes through an inactive -> active sequence.
As far as I am concerned that is a bug and we will certainly not replicate it in OpenMW.
\

That's nice to hear. And while we are at this,
vanilla scripting has some limitation like :
- from script we can assign value to a variable in other script, but can't read it's value
- you can't use function on right side of equation (am I right about this?)
- weird space and comma using, like ( a = 0 ) works but (a = 0) doesn't.

I think overcoming this limitation will give modders more flexibility in making the mods
Zini

Post by Zini »

- from script we can assign value to a variable in other script, but can't read it's value
- you can't use function on right side of equation (am I right about this?)
- weird space and comma using, like ( a = 0 ) works but (a = 0) doesn't.
None of these limitations apply to the OpenMW script compiler. OpenMW can do all that.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

yes, we (zini…) simply do not replicate pointless limitations of orginal morrowind engine.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Here is an answer by Zini itself about the topic.
penguinroad

Post by penguinroad »

Thank you for all the answers. They really put mind at ease, knowing Morrowind will be enhanced even more. Kudos for the team
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

ezzetabi wrote:Here is an answer by Zini itself about the topic.
The use of itself made me laugh :lol: .