tales from the land of GNOME

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
sirherrbatka

tales from the land of GNOME

Post by sirherrbatka »

hi all, as we all know gnome went nuts and currently is RH playground. But I see something that should make your life easier, traditional gnome fans

http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2013/01/ ... fway-mark/
A new addition to GNOME 3.8 is the classic mode that is going to replace fallback mode as an alternative for users who want to keep using elements of GNOME 2, such as the minimize button, or the window list.

The reasons for replacing fallback mode have been explained here. In short, it needs to be replaced, because

it consists of barely maintained modules (gnome-panel, metacity, applets, notification-daemon,…)
it does not offer the quality and user experience that we want to deliver
keeping it (somewhat) functional keeps us from making improvements in other parts of the stack
Classic mode on the other hand, is using GNOME shell with a few extensions and few settings tweaks. New GNOME features, like the IBus integration, will ‘just work’ because classic mode is literally using the same code. We are reusing the infrastructure for defining ‘modes’ that was already present in the shell. It is used for the login screen in GNOME 3.6, for instance. The extensions and glue code that make up classic mode are being developed in the gnome-shell-extensions module.
I never liked gnome because for some reason it was giving me trouble all the time, especially gnome-panel and nautilus was very. I liked some of their design decissions, like getting rid of "apply" button yet for this reason I moved to KDE and i love it. Yet the news is interesting.
wheybags

Re: tales from the land of GNOME

Post by wheybags »

Cinnamon is a nice Gnome replacement.
Gnome3 is an abomination.
They should have made it a separate project, it's barely related to gnome2
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Cinnamon is gnome 3, with some additions. The problem is that those additions wasn't accepted by gnome team and so the fork has started. Canonical additions wasn't accepted either back then. It's really nothing else then sick culture of RH.
sg1efc

Post by sg1efc »

This is very interesting. I loved Gnome 2, always worked extremely well for me. Hated that Ubuntu switched to Unity & five minutes of using it... I was looking for a replacemnt, LoL. :)

Now have switched from Kubuntu to Linux Mint Cinnamon, which seems to actually be noticeably quicker than Ubuntu/Kubuntu were. 8-)