Icons

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
sirherrbatka

Re: Icons

Post by sirherrbatka »

You can try to work with inkscape. Many icon makers like it.

ps
and it's super easy to render both 22x22 and 24x24 icons from the same svg, or even just use svg icons in the first place.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Awesome, if SVG works, I'll definitely use that. No problems with that cross-platform either? Don't want to make shit that won't look decent on Windows and CultOS.

(Also, gods, I love installing software on Linux. Too fucking easy most of the time.)
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I don't really know but since qt is the same for all platforms i guess that it should look and work quite the same way.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Problem with svg icons is that icons generally don't downsize very well, so for small size icons you're better off using separate .pngs so you can make sure the icon can be recognized. Here's a good blog post on the subject.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

ah yes, but it's not quite technical isssue. Big icons can consists pretty gradients and thin edges while small won't be readable with it. So it's good to create two svg icons a small one and a big one. Here is home folder from elementary:

small one
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2899105/folder-home.svg

big one
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2899105/big.svg
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

I think you could end up needing multiple .svg icons for the small sizes if the icon contains a lot of information, but yes, you could go for .svgs with Qt, no problem. I still believe it's easier to use .pngs for the smaller sizes though.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Hard to tell. If we want to add cusotmization like "big icons, medium icons, small icons, tiny icons" you would need to make two svg icons (medium,big/small,tiny) and then use them directly in the editor or render 4 pngs or toy with the gimp to create 4 pngs (scaling down not always work well).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Have we come to any conclusion here?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Conclusion is quite simple: We need 22x22 icons as default. If we want more options of icon size (nice but not we can skip it for now) then we would need to create more icon sizes. Tools are matter of personal preferences ─ i prefer inkscape but some may prefer gimp.

That's it.

PS
Okulo, please just don't make grayscale icons.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Do we have detailed of icons that needs to be done?