Detection of Spell effects on Misc/Activators?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Tes96

Detection of Spell effects on Misc/Activators?

Post by Tes96 »

A while ago I was asking about being able to cast a fireball spell on the NOM(Necessities of Morrowind) firekits and being able to ignite them and also extinguishing them with a frost spell. I asked over at Great House Fliggerty and the answer was that it is pretty much not possible with the Gambyro engine. Fliggerty had a quirky work-around idea but it seemed like too much unnecessary work.

I'm hoping that this could be something possible with the OpenMW engine; igniting NOM firekits and extinguishing them with spells.
Strange, doors can be locked or unlocked with spells. I wonder why it doesn't work with miscellaneous & activators.

Any ways, what do you guys think?
Zini

Re: Detection of Spell effects on Misc/Activators?

Post by Zini »

Strange, doors can be locked or unlocked with spells. I wonder why it doesn't work with miscellaneous & activators.
Magic effects do very specific things in MW and there is no scripting hook for that. The lock/unlock effect locks/unlocks lockable things (doors and containers, I think). The fire damage effect causes fire damage to NPCs and creatures. It does not interact with anything else.
Piece of cake, once we have proper scripted spells. That could take a while though (easily OpenMW 1.2 or 1.3).
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Zini wrote:
Magic effects do very specific things in MW and there is no scripting hook for that. The lock/unlock effect locks/unlocks lockable things (doors and containers, I think). The fire damage effect causes fire damage to NPCs and creatures. It does not interact with anything else.
Piece of cake, once we have proper scripted spells. That could take a while though (easily OpenMW 1.2 or 1.3).
Awesome! I'm glad to hear that it is a possibility. It sure would be nice to have fire spells behave like actual fire. You know, catching aflame on houses and trees and the ground; not being able to be cast under water; melting ice (although I suppose in theory a spell caster could melt down the entire complex of Karstaag given enough time.

What about implementing other magic features like in Dark Messiah? The ability to shrink NPCs or creatures. That can already be done in the console but with spells it would be different.
Magic opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. I think the Shouts in Skyrim done poorly. Not that the idea of Nordic shouts is stupid because that was part of Skyrim's culture in games previous to TESV. But Bethesda just took other spells and moved them to shouting. Except the making yourself transparent in a material-sense where objects could go through you. I think that would be awesome to have a spell were you could walk through walls. Although the way the world is designed, if you toggle off collision, you'll see a lot of black void as you walk outside of house interiors.

What ideas do you OpenMW modders have for magic usage?
Zini

Post by Zini »

The ability to shrink NPCs or creatures. That can already be done in the console but with spells it would be different.
Trivial. If it can be done via script, it can be done by a spell, once proper scripted spells are available.
I think that would be awesome to have a spell were you could walk through walls. Although the way the world is designed, if you toggle off collision, you'll see a lot of black void as you walk outside of house interiors.
That on the other hand is completely impossible. The world in Morrowind.esm is just not made for that, interior/exterior transitions indeed being the major problem (not the only one though).
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Zini wrote:
The ability to shrink NPCs or creatures. That can already be done in the console but with spells it would be different.
Trivial. If it can be done via script, it can be done by a spell, once proper scripted spells are available.
I think that would be awesome to have a spell were you could walk through walls. Although the way the world is designed, if you toggle off collision, you'll see a lot of black void as you walk outside of house interiors.
That on the other hand is completely impossible. The world in Morrowind.esm is just not made for that, interior/exterior transitions indeed being the major problem (not the only one though).
What about the character being transparent so that weapons and creatures/NPCs go right through the player for the duration of the spell?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not on my list for now and probably not part of the first batch of post-1.0 improvements. But it could happen eventually (or much earlier, if one of our developers is highly interested in implementing it).