Landmass

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Landmass

Post by psi29a »

That is certainly pretty, but I've yet to see a tool that does the same thing for free and that the code is available.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

psi29a

Post by psi29a »

That is actually nice, sadly only for Linux.

I hope to add inline editing eventually... :)
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Someone mentioned Geomorph on IRC a long time ago. Didn't know it was Linux only. They do provide source code though.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Well, for the example suite wouldn't it be ok? Just have a Linux person generate it, and then share the file around?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Hircine put a lot of work into the terrain, and I'm not about to trash it unless I'm convinced a new method of generating landscapes would make the end product significantly better. If someone wants to present an example, I'll look at it, but I haven't been thinking about landscapes since Hircine presented his finished product several months ago. The only thing I dislike about the current state of the landscape is that it is smaller than I'd like it to be.

edit: I take that back, I'm happy with the size. The project can't be too large or it risks becoming too big to handle for a small team.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I was under the impression that the Editor would have landscape editing features built in.

I think you will always have to manually edit a randomly generated heightmap just because there are specific feature that you want.
Last edited by psi29a on 26 Nov 2012, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
craziwolf

Post by craziwolf »

This is looking like its all coming along nicely! is there anything I can do to help?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

BrotherBrick wrote:I was under the impression that the Editor would have landscape editing features built in.

I think you will always have to manually edit a randomly generated heightmap just because there are specific feature that you want.
Hircine was working off of a heightmap you provided, if you recall, but he did significant work to it in Morrowind's CS.
craziwolf wrote:This is looking like its all coming along nicely! is there anything I can do to help?
If your intention is to help with textures, then we're not quite there yet but we will definitely need someone handy with photoshop/GIMP later on. We have been asking around for some model making though, if you have any experience with that.

Or, if you posted in the Landmass thread because you were interested in helping with the landscaping and terrain aspect, then sure, there are a few things that could be taken care of.

So what kind of work are you interested in?

Edit: Also, can you animate?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Greendogo wrote:
BrotherBrick wrote:I was under the impression that the Editor would have landscape editing features built in.

Hircine was working off of a heightmap you provided, if you recall, but he did significant work to it in Morrowind's CS.
I know he did, but that is neither here nor there. Let us try not to talk past each other. :)

My point was that we are trying to get away from Morrowind's CS, which is the point of the OMW Editor. It doesn't matter where you get your heightmap, but the Editor should allow for editing it. That is why I was pushing for lightwave to update his tool and create a binary for in Linux. That way we wouldn't have to rely on the CS (and for that matter Windows) so much. He wants to also open-source his work, which is great because it could also be used inside of the Editor. It then falls logically into place that the Editor also have a heightmap generator to close the loop. Everything necessary to create an OpenMW world.