2 Ideas, both quite huge tasks

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Chris

Re: 2 Ideas, both quite huge tasks

Post by Chris »

Multiplayer comes up a lot. The problem is that the game is simply not designed for it. The game data (scripts, dialog filters, and such) assumes there's only one player running around doing things, and this will break horribly when it's not true. Quests would need to be tracked on a per-player basis rather than globally, and some checks would need to be put into place to prevent quests from getting tangled.

Additionally there'd be problems with dialog and menu access, where the game is normally paused. Plus waiting, sleeping, training, fast travel (boats, silt striders), etc, where time is pushed forward to simulate the passage of time. That won't work if there's another player running around while it happens.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Good explanation Chris.

So multiplayer would require two things: engine support, and a large mod dedicated to adding compatibility with quests and other non-engine related game stuff.

Plus, you'd have to find devs who'd actually want multiplayer to work on it.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

My thoughts on this: Multiplayer co-op with a few friends in Morrowind would definitely be fun. However, as has been stated, the game (even if it was only from a technical perspective) is just not designed for it and I think there would be too many problems faced in implementing it. Managing concurrency in even a vanilla worldspace would be a nightmare, add in players with different mod combinations trying to play with one another and I think it would be impossible. Honestly I don't wish for OpenMW to go in pursuit of this feature, but that's just my two cents. I think alot more could be done to enhance the engine and the game for an equal amount of work that would be require for even a somewhat playable multi-player experience. I'd just like more intelligent AI for NPC companions.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I don't really care for the multiplayer personally but I imagine something like small scale co-op would be interesting. Basically like smarter companions which can chat and trade/barter.

Perhaps it could be done slightly simpler with a host & non-host in a very restricted way. (if someone was really interested in developing it one day)
IE
-Only the host quest/dialogue progression is affected.
-non hosts can level up their character's stats only.
-trade is like bartering with merchant
-if you screw the game progression up it's the hosts fault for allowing the activity
-non hosts are basically seen and actuate as NPC companion with different AI.
-when non-host does anything it is completely considered host did it (crime/kills/dialogue/etc).
-Same mods activated only
-if time is adjusted by anyone all players are affected

-when non-host leaves the co-op their single player save game is only affected by belongings and stats. Position/quests/crime/relations/time are completely unaffected.

Syncing is problem of course but that is issue with any multiplayer game and the game must be structed to allow that.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Possibly the simplest solution is treating all players as a party. One of the players is the Nerevarine and all others are sidekick. Quest are shared and the party cannot slit up.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

ezzetabi wrote:Possibly the simplest solution is treating all players as a party. One of the players is the Nerevarine and all others are sidekick. Quest are shared and the party cannot slit up.
That would actually work. But you then have people argueing over who gets to be the main guy.
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

I don't even care about the quest aspect of it, I just want to see my friend's character moving around with me :)
craziwolf

Post by craziwolf »

WeirdSexy wrote:My thoughts on this: Multiplayer co-op with a few friends in Morrowind would definitely be fun. However, as has been stated, the game (even if it was only from a technical perspective) is just not designed for it and I think there would be too many problems faced in implementing it. Managing concurrency in even a vanilla worldspace would be a nightmare, add in players with different mod combinations trying to play with one another and I think it would be impossible. Honestly I don't wish for OpenMW to go in pursuit of this feature, but that's just my two cents. I think alot more could be done to enhance the engine and the game for an equal amount of work that would be require for even a somewhat playable multi-player experience. I'd just like more intelligent AI for NPC companions.
I agree and besides as much as we wish it had the feature in the first place te game itself is amazing as is! why change what has worked for so long? :) On the second point having an intelligent companion would most defiantly be a bonus though I have a terrible habit of using mine as a meat shield ;)
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Tarius wrote:
ezzetabi wrote:Possibly the simplest solution is treating all players as a party. One of the players is the Nerevarine and all others are sidekick. Quest are shared and the party cannot slit up.
That would actually work. But you then have people argueing over who gets to be the main guy.
Well... If the players cannot agree something probably they should not play in the first place. Maybe just change the prophecy so that it is a party of strangers... ;)
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

ezzetabi wrote:
Tarius wrote:
Well... If the players cannot agree something probably they should not play in the first place. Maybe just change the prophecy so that it is a party of strangers... ;)
I was only half serious. The ability to have an entire party of people would go a very long way in making this more popular.
You would only have to decide how the menus(inventory or start) would work, athough the easiest thing to do is have an option that toggles game pausing:
the game pauses if one person is in the menu
the game pauses only if everyone is in the menu
the game pauses only when someone goes to the start menu(the one that has load, save, exit, etc)
or the game never pauses(although I dont think anyone would choose this option)

The only other thing is regarding a party leader. Do you want to have one, or does stuff get spread around evenly? Basically they are the main guy.