EDITOR: Option to "Grid-Snap" from unique frame of reference

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Greendogo

EDITOR: Option to "Grid-Snap" from unique frame of reference

Post by Greendogo »

Ok, this feature is fairly abstract, but I'm sure it would be helpful.

As you know, if you've ever tried to put a building set together it behooves you to use the Grid-Snap feature, as it allows you to fit things together as though they were part of a grid (there's a rotation snapping feature as well).

I'll just assume you know what I'm talking about already, it's super handy.

Anyway, I expect this to be in the OpenMW editor, as it's a basic feature that is indispensable. What I'm proposing is an improvement over this feature, so first, let me present you with the problem:
You are working on some models that are perfectly put together, everything is in its place, but you need to add new models to what is already there, and these models, when you attempt to grid-snap them to the existing models are off by a little bit. What's going on here? Well the already laid models aren't aligned with the grid, and the new pieces are, grid-snap alone will never get these two groups of objects to line-up with each other and messy hand placement must be done to get the desired arrangement.

My suggestion is to allow the modder to input an offset from a theoretical default origin (0,0) as the temporary or replacement origin. Its effect on grid snap could be turned on and off with an option, and a new offset could be created and saved. The editor would automatically remember which offset a cell you were working on was using, but never-before-opened or new cells would be the default offset of (0,0).

This would let modders save a lot of time they would normally spend adjusting models by single units at a time.

I'll create a mock-up if this suggestion doesn't make any sense. Like I said, it's a little abstract, and you wouldn't know what I'm talking about if you've never used the grid-snap feature in the CS.
WeirdSexy

Re: EDITOR: Option to "Grid-Snap" from unique frame of refer

Post by WeirdSexy »

If the models that are already laid out are aligned with one another, wouldn't they already be aligned to the grid? I mean unless someone had simply thrown the first model into the editor without using grid snap and then painstakingly aligned subsequent models to the first model without grid snap until they all of a sudden decided to start using grid snap?
Zini

Post by Zini »

If the models that are already laid out are aligned with one another, wouldn't they already be aligned to the grid?
Not if someone decided to move them as a group after placing and aligning them. Or copy and paste them.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

You possibly could go further and implement extra snapping tools.
Snap to ... Vertex/face/edge/grid/terrain-only
Snapping element...closest Vertex/object origin/center of geometry

Closest vertex-vertex snapping is very useful. Although probably not most pieces join edge to edge like that, other than things like walls.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Zini wrote:
If the models that are already laid out are aligned with one another, wouldn't they already be aligned to the grid?
Not if someone decided to move them as a group after placing and aligning them. Or copy and paste them.
Exactly, and when this happens it means a lot more work for the modder.
SGMonkey

Post by SGMonkey »

I think the trick is to use a high grid snap number like 64 or 128 when first moving an object in the render window. But i know what you mean, if you've moved a whole selection of things, it will attempt to snap them all to a new grid, the trick is to only move objects that snap together, then move all the smaller objects.

I'm pretty sure the Creation Kit for Skyrim has just the feature you mean. You can move something and rotate it in any which way you like off the grid or angle snap, and then select to use its rotation and location as a base for the any subsequent object locations.

Its awkward to explain, best to just try it out. I'm pretty sure that the official video tutorials for the creation kit shows exactly what i mean.

Found the video which explains this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... tLc#t=448s