Debian installation report

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
freem

Debian installation report

Post by freem »

I have managed to compile openmw with installing dependencies only when cmake asked me for, and I have found that currently there are only those dependencies (I had to compile the one with *):
  • Ogre
    libboost_filesystem-dev
    libboost_program_options-dev
    libois-dev
    libopenal-dev
    libmpg123-dev
    uuid-dev
    libsndfile1-dev
    *bullet
    libqt4-dev
    *MyGui
    *shiny
The wiki said that Audiere should have been used too, but it seem this dependency have been removed.
[edit]
I would like to have confirmation about the list, to update wiki, or at least create a Debian section in it.
[/edit]

Everything compiled fine (except for a warning about unused var)
Spoiler: Show
But when running I have a problem, saying that I need a plugin for ogre
Spoiler: Show
Seeing the name of the plug-in, I guess this is related to nvidia Cg toolkit.
As Debian does not seem to give any package with it (the plug-in), it is needed to install the package "nvidia-cg-toolkit" and compile ogre after that.
I thought the dependency had been removed, as announced here so it might simply be an error in cmake system.

I noticed another thing which is not really "fun" (I do not really care but someone else could):
when you run "#make install" everything is installed as if it were by package installer, so, in /usr/games. Usually, compiled packages are installed in /usr/local to avoid creating issues.
Also, there is no way to remove: no target like uninstall or remove or alike is created in the makefile.

At last, I would like to know if it could be possible to build openmw without qt4, as it is only needed for omwlauncher, I guess, so it is not really a full dependency.

[edit]
The Cg problem was due to the fact I had the file Plugin_CgProgramManager.so in my path. Removing it solved the problem.
It seem I made stupid things on my computer some day...
Thanks you scrawl
[/edit]
jhooks1

Re: Debian installation report

Post by jhooks1 »

I don't think audiere can be used in openmw anymore. Use FFMPEG.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I don't think audiere can be used in openmw anymore. Use FFMPEG.
Don't think so. We still have code for audiere.

Anyway, we have three different options for sound, ffmpeg and audiere being to of them (see the wiki or the cmake script for details). But you only need one of them.
I noticed another thing which is not really "fun" (I do not really care but someone else could):
when you run "#make install" everything is installed as if it were by package installer, so, in /usr/games.
That sounds wrong. Can anyone else confirm?
Also, there is no way to remove: no target like uninstall or remove or alike is created in the makefile.
That on the other hand is normal for a cmake generated make file.
freem

Post by freem »

It seems that audiere's last update is 6 years old, so I guess FFMPEG is a better idea.
And according to wikipedia, audiere only uses OSS so is really sounds like a bad idea for modern linux desktop, am I wrong? (I still have many things to learn about linux so I might be totally wrong in this assertion)
But, I did not install any FFMPEG dev libraries, as far as I remember, and sounds works just fine? Obviously, I have FFMPEG libraries installed for other applications, but without development packages, I can not understand how openmw could use it??

In fact, I can understand the role of most dependencies, but I do not understand why I had to install so many sound library?
In short, as far as I understand, it seem that (thanks to wikipedia :lol: ):
_ openal "place" sounds around the player (maybe like opengl does for graphics?)
_ mpg123 is for decoding files
_ sndfile1 is for reading (and writing, but I do not think openmw use such feature) sound files

I do not really know what happen under the hood, but it sounds like mpg123 and sndfile1 are doing the same? Did I install something useless? And, still, no FFMPEG development file is needed with those libs.

About the fact that openmw goes into my /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin, maybe I did something wrong, but I can not understand what:
_ other self-compiled stuff goes into /usr/local/...
_ removing all stuff in the build dir and restarting cmake did not change that
The computer on which it happens is a Debian testing/unstable/sid (it depends on software installed, for the compiler, I prefer the very last gcc, but not for things like kernels)
Zini

Post by Zini »

mpg123 and libsndfile are the 3rd of the three options for sound (besides audiere and ffmpeg). Looks like you are not using ffmpeg at all. Check your USE_ cmake variables.
freem

Post by freem »

So, ffmpeg is the best solution?

I do not have access to my computer currently, I'll check that as soon as possible.
Last edited by freem on 17 Aug 2012, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Audiere seems to be a better option for Windows, since it's easier to get working and works with the audio file formats we need (that it only uses OSS for output is of no consequence; we only use it to decode files and the audio gets put through OpenAL regardless).

libsndfile+mpg123 is a compromise. They're more well-known and updated in the Linux world than Audiere, and smaller than FFmpeg. We use libsndfile to "decode" wav files, and mpg123 to decode mp3s.

FFmpeg is the ideal option, but it's a behemoth. It can handle any format we could hope to throw at it (I imagine future OpenMW-specific mods would like to use FLAC, Ogg, and Speex, as they compress better for what they do compared to mp3), and it's the only thing I'm aware of that can decode the .bik video files Morrowind uses (and can also support the more standard formats like h.264, Theora, WebM, etc).
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

For Ubuntu we use mpg123 and sndfile and everything 'just works'. Never got it working any other way.
freem

Post by freem »

Is openmw able to manage introduction video at the moment, or not?

If it is but only with ffmpeg, it should be an interesting thing to know why you are not able to make stuff working with it?
But I guess I'll have trouble to do so, as *buntu are based on debian sid AFAIK...

About *buntu, do you have scripts to generate packages?
And have you the same issue as me about destination directory when compiling? This one is annoying, and I can not imagine what I made wrong :/
Chris

Post by Chris »

freem wrote:Is openmw able to manage introduction video at the moment, or not?
No, the script functions and related interfaces haven't been implemented yet. Properly synced audio/video can be a bit tricky too, if you're not familiar with how to do it.