Detailed runthrough on getting the Dev. Environment setup?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
mjmax

Detailed runthrough on getting the Dev. Environment setup?

Post by mjmax » 18 Jun 2012, 18:46

I would absolutely love it if someone could help me get the Development Environment setup in Windows, and explain it to someone with little experience in coding and essentially no experience in Git.

I'd like to begin to understand how Git and open source projects work, and right now I have no idea. I think this is a good way for me to learn and satisfy my curiosity.

Right now this page really confuses me:

http://openmw.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... up#Windows

There are libraries included at the top of the page not included in the Windows section, and vice versa. I don't really know what the different choices mean when it comes to Git. Not really sure how to install the libraries, whether it varies between programs, and which programs to use (Visual Studio, etc.?). There's no real step 1, step 2, step 3... progression to the page.

And this:

Get the OpenMW Source code using GIT or Tortoise Git

Download and install all of these and make sure the environment (the system and Cmake) knows where they are. (Coming soon)

...leaves out a lot of information for me.

The page is probably sufficient for an experienced coder, but if someone could help me learn the basics of all this by giving some really detailed instructions, that would be amazing. Thanks.

garvek

Re: Detailed runthrough on getting the Dev. Environment setu

Post by garvek » 24 Jun 2012, 18:55

http://openmw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 7324#p7324

Here you have some explanations how to install windows setup. I was not very available lately, but I'll try to answer as much as possible.

europop

Re: Detailed runthrough on getting the Dev. Environment setu

Post by europop » 07 Sep 2012, 14:59

Hello. I have long trying to go through all the stages of 'Developer Checklist' (on wiki page 'Contribution Wanted'). I have successfully completed all except 'Development Environment Setup' (for Windows). An short overview of the links in this forum thread didn't help me to resolve my difficulties.
For the active participation in the project I need at first be able to compile the source code.

Problems:

1. I don't understand how to install the 'Boost' (Before that I downloaded and installed OgreSDK_vc10_v1-8-1.exe to the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OgreSDK_vc10_v1-8-1'). Please advise me what I should download (which version) and how to install it (Boost) in my case.

2. I could not find how to download 'OpenAL' by mentioned link.

3. I downloaded and installed the Offline installer of 'GBQt SDK version 1.2.1' for Windows, but not sure that I should download just that file. (QTDIR variable I've set to 'C:\QtSDK').

4. In Section 'Running and using CMake', I did not understand anything at all. I have installed 'CMake 2.8.9' and 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2010' (usually I use VS 2008, but during month I can use only VS 2010).
I especially need clarification of this point. Please help me overcome this stage.

Maybe someone can give archive with installed libraries and a list of Paths for them (for environment variables)?