Annoying stuttering

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
nowheredan27

Re: Annoying stuttering

Post by nowheredan27 »

Thanks for the heads up. Do I just download the latest unreleased build every few days or so?
Attachments
47.jpg
nowheredan27

Post by nowheredan27 »

Still on the stable build, this is the result of me just spinning around in place in Caldera. I really have no idea why this runs so poorly :?

EDIT - Well sh*t, I'm on 0.45 now and the stutter is absolutely gone even when running around the game world. I'm truly at a loss here.
Attachments
screenshot013.jpg
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Could the stutter have to do with object paging / active grid eating into your CPU to merge objects? You can try turning those off. Another possibility for the stuttering might be to the recast navigation running in the background?

To turn off the recast navigation (navmesh generation):

Code: Select all

[Navigator]
# Enable navigator (true, false). When enabled background threads are started to build navmesh for world geometry.
# Pathfinding system uses navmesh to build paths. When disabled only pathgrid is used to build paths.
enable = false
Are you running on a dual core CPU or a particularly weak CPU?

Might help.
https://modding-openmw.com/tips/performance/
nowheredan27

Post by nowheredan27 »

Bro you're a HERO :D
Turning off this navigation setting completely got rid of the crazy chugging I was getting, I can even play the game with vsync on now!
Thank you so much!
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I'm glad it worked for you, though I'm disappointing as well... this is a really great feature that give NPS and monsters better AI. They will go back to doing dumb things again. :(
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

I see two possible issues here:
1. There is no enough free cores, so navigator jobs are executed on the main or draw threads, causing random FPS drops.
2. There are free cores, but OS dispatches threads in a wrong way, so navigator jobs are executed on the main or draw threads, causing random FPS drops.

There is nothing we can do with the first issue.
To solve second issue (for 3.6 OSG), we already allow OS itself to handle threads affinity instead of relying on OSG. At least on Linux it works much better, but probably it does not help for some Windows setups.
nowheredan27

Post by nowheredan27 »

This is the laptop I'm running OpenMW on, just for reference. Mine is the Ryzen 7 one, with the Radeon 540.
Attachments
ideapad_330_15ARR_Spec.PDF
(49.46 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
nowheredan27

Post by nowheredan27 »

Sorry to necro this but I'm still having a little bit of trouble running 0.46:
It seems like whenever a new sound file (NPC bark, spell sound, death sound, creature sound, you name it) plays, my game stutters as if trying to load it beforehand. This only happens with sounds I still haven't encountered in this session, and doesn't happen at all when I do a fresh install (until I restart my laptop, then it happens again).
I've trying disabling HTRF and increasing the sound cache, but nothing helped. Any tips?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

This is going to happen as the asset is not yet cached in memory, especially from a HDD. There have been some improvements in this area in the upcoming 0.47 release.
nowheredan27

Post by nowheredan27 »

Hey there, that's fantastic news!
Do we have an ETA on 0.47 release?