Audiere

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
jhooks1

Audiere

Post by jhooks1 »

What happened to audiere? That was the sound library I always used, not an option anymore in master.
Chris

Re: Audiere

Post by Chris »

jhooks1 wrote:What happened to audiere? That was the sound library I always used, not an option anymore in master.
It was removed during the sound rewrite because it wasn't re-implemented with the new interface. Given the age and lack of availability of the lib (at least Gentoo and Debian don't have it anymore), there wasn't much point in me trying to bring it back.

Can't you use libmpg123+linsndfile or ffmpeg? Do you have another suggestion for a decoder, or was there a particular reason to use Audiere?
Zini

Post by Zini »

That was so long ago, that I am not sure if I still remember correctly. But if my memory isn't playing tricks on me, libmpg123 isn't available on Windows and ffmpeg is a major headache on that platform. I think audiere was included primarily for the sake of the Windows users/developers.
EmbraceUnity

Post by EmbraceUnity »

From http://www.mpg123.de/download.shtml
Win32 and Win64 binaries

You Windows folks are lucky since version 1.6.0: Patrick joined the team as a Windows developer and is providing binaries regulary, see download/win32/! Also, JonY chipped in with builds for 64bit Windows, to be found in download/win64/. The latter files are signed with JonY's GPG key. He likes to play with freshest toolsets, p.ex. 1.12.4 binaries are built with gcc 4.6 and link time optimization.

From http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/
There are also pre-compiled binaries available for 32 and 64 bit windows.
Zini

Post by Zini »

That is good news. Thanks.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Unfortunately the mpg123/libsndfile binaries for windows are not development ones, no .lib file to link against.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Ace (SWE) wrote:Unfortunately the mpg123/libsndfile binaries for windows are not development ones, no .lib file to link against.
The libmpg123 binary download contains mpg123.h and libmpg123-0.dll.def. Isn't that enough to make a .lib (I'm not familiar with VC)? The libsndfile binary download for Windows (at least the ones I got) does contain the headers and libsndfile-1.lib.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Generating the lib for mpg123 wasn't that hard but I've been yet to successfully link against it, guess it could just be something with my system.
And to be honest, I'm not going to spend much more time trying to get that working when I have a working ffmpeg to link against.
Either way, both ffmepg and mpg123/libsndfile are sort-of annoying to build with on Windows, which was the main reason I used audiere for the earlier builds.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Is there any way we can bring it back?
Chris

Post by Chris »

jhooks1 wrote:Is there any way we can bring it back?
If I can get it to build and install, it looks like I may be able to get it working again. Though given the age of the lib, I'd be very curious if you have any other ideas for audio decoder libs.

Now that I think, what about VLC? There is a version of the player for Windows, and there seems to be a shared lib we could interface with to do the decoding. Perhaps one day they'll support Bink, too. It may be worth some consideration if it's easier to use on Windows than ffmpeg.