[Solved] AWOL Files

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
A1Qicks

[Solved] AWOL Files

Post by A1Qicks »

Hello - I only installed OpenMW the other day so I'm not familiar with a lot of this.

After encountering a butt tonne of bump map shinies (I fixed the rocks with the Taddeus mod, but the entirety of Vivec including guards appear to be shiny and I don't know what to do about that as I don't want to fix it file by file), I went poking around in the various OpenMW files to try and find a cause/solution.

The main gist of this is that for whatever reason, I didn't have a settings.cfg file at all (though I had the settings-default, which I made a copy of and renamed in optimistic hope of success), and when I followed the Windows path to look for the config file to see if I had some mod problems, I found I didn't have that anywhere except in the OpenMW root folder (which isn't the user file).

I think my bump mapping problem is probably due to mods first installed with NMM and then the godforsaken crossover to Vortex followed by trying to make that all work in OpenMW (I'm trying to avoid a total fresh install because I only have the original CDs and my computer doesn't like them anymore), but why would I be missing those files? And why is/was it working without them?

I'd settle for a quick and dirty way to fix the bump mapping as everything else seems to work fine, but failing that, it'd be good to have the right files in the right place.
AnyOldName3

Re: AWOL Files

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Once you've used a non-VFS mod manager or manually installed any mods, you're going to have a very hard time removing crap from your game directory, and I'm reasonably sure that the approach that's the least work is going to involve getting your computer to like the CDs again.
The main gist of this is that for whatever reason, I didn't have a settings.cfg file at all (though I had the settings-default, which I made a copy of and renamed in optimistic hope of success), and when I followed the Windows path to look for the config file to see if I had some mod problems, I found I didn't have that anywhere except in the OpenMW root folder (which isn't the user file).
This is very concerning, and you're the second person who's reported something like this recently. Can you upload a screenshot of the place where you think the user config files should be so we can determine if they're genuinely not there or if you've just not looked in the right place, please?
A1Qicks

Post by A1Qicks »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:19 Can you upload a screenshot of the place where you think the user config files should be so we can determine if they're genuinely not there or if you've just not looked in the right place, please?
So, fresh day, fresh eyes - I looked in the path suggested and it still wasn't there, but I realised that other stuff that I would expect to be there (Skyrim saves, for example) wasn't there either. I went looking for something I knew existed (again, Skyrim saves) and I found them - and the openmw.cfg file - though not in the default path.

Rather than being in my C:/Users/etc. path, the file had found its way into my OneDrive Documents folder (which as far as I'm aware, didn't previously exist - I was expecting everything to be on C:/ as per normal).

New path for a default My Games item seems to be:
OneDrive/Documents/My Games
Which wasn't a manual change at my end. If someone else reported it recently, I suspect that a recent Windows 10 update moved everything into OneDrive.

Apologies for the self-answering question (though hope it's helpful for others/documentation!)
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Windows 10 has put your documents folder in OneDrive unless you specifically asked it not to during installation right from its initial release, so it might just have been there the whole time without you realising. There's a reason why our documentation says to find the path at

Code: Select all

Documents\My Games\OpenMW
If it's at the start of a path, Windows Explorer automatically expands Documents to whichever directory Windows thinks is your documents folder.