OpenMicroWave (Android) Ignores settings.cfg changes + QoL

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Trout

OpenMicroWave (Android) Ignores settings.cfg changes + QoL

Post by Trout »

Just curious, is OpenMW supposed to have all its settings in a single line of text in settings.cfg, instead of the way most config files are set up?

Also, I added a few missing items to settings.cfg, all from the [Game] category, saved, ensured they were still there, and then started up the app. When I launched Morrowind, upon testing to see whether my changes had taken effect, it appears OpenMW is ignoring them instead. Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Does the Mobile app not support cfg changes?
AnyOldName3

Re: OpenMicroWave (Android) Ignores settings.cfg changes + QoL

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Just curious, is OpenMW supposed to have all its settings in a single line of text in settings.cfg, instead of the way most config files are set up?
No. There's supposed to be a line break.
Trout

Post by Trout »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 15:57
No. There's supposed to be a line break.
What might cause this to happen? And is this error why my cfg changes are ignored?

Also, when I attempted to rectify this manually, the app freaked out when I tried to launch it.
Trout

Post by Trout »

Seems to have been fixed. At least the change that I most wanted to have did take effect. I unistalled OpenMW, and deleted the OpenMW folder in my phone (after moving my save files out of that folder), in order to have a fresh install.

I installed a *.txt reader/editor and then re-installed OMW, opened it, then ran Morrowind up until the opening menu to make it generate an install directory. Closed out Morrowind, used the text app to open up settings.cfg and lo and behold, the file was properly formatted. Changed the settings I wanted, saved, and exited. Booted up Morrowind again, and all of a sudden, bartering disposition change was finally permanent the way I wanted! Yay!

I wish I was more literate with computers, phones, and data management in general. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think the matter is solved.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Trout wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 01:28 Seems to have been fixed. At least the change that I most wanted to have did take effect. I unistalled OpenMW, and deleted the OpenMW folder in my phone (after moving my save files out of that folder), in order to have a fresh install.

I installed a *.txt reader/editor and then re-installed OMW, opened it, then ran Morrowind up until the opening menu to make it generate an install directory. Closed out Morrowind, used the text app to open up settings.cfg and lo and behold, the file was properly formatted. Changed the settings I wanted, saved, and exited. Booted up Morrowind again, and all of a sudden, bartering disposition change was finally permanent the way I wanted! Yay!

I wish I was more literate with computers, phones, and data management in general. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think the matter is solved.
Not sure why that worked, but it is good to know that it did. The issue sounded like there was an issue with the carriage return/line break in the cfg text file which resulted in a continuous line of text:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/faq_line_breaks wrote: Line breaks are lost. It seems like if a whole file content is on a single line.
The most common formats are Unix and Windows format. A primary difference is that different character or sequence of characters is used to signify an end of a line. On Unix, it’s LF character (\n, 0A or 10 in decimal). On Windows, it’s a sequence of two characters, CR and LF (\r + \n, 0D + 0A or 13 + 10 in decimal).

While that link above describes a file transfer, the situation is the same. Specifically, if you write a text file in one OS such and transfer to another then the line breaks will not always look right, and a regularly formatted file will become a run-on sentence with no end.

Anyhow, if it is working for you then perhaps we should note this as a potential fix? I am not very familiar with android but this may be a quick fix for this issue.

ST android number 10
Trout

Post by Trout »

silentthief wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 01:50
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/faq_line_breaks wrote: Line breaks are lost. It seems like if a whole file content is on a single line.
The most common formats are Unix and Windows format. A primary difference is that different character or sequence of characters is used to signify an end of a line. On Unix, it’s LF character (\n, 0A or 10 in decimal). On Windows, it’s a sequence of two characters, CR and LF (\r + \n, 0D + 0A or 13 + 10 in decimal).

While that link above describes a file transfer, the situation is the same. Specifically, if you write a text file in one OS such and transfer to another then the line breaks will not always look right, and a regularly formatted file will become a run-on sentence with no end.

Anyhow, if it is working for you then perhaps we should note this as a potential fix? I am not very familiar with android but this may be a quick fix for this issue.

ST android number 10
After reading this, I'm pretty sure that This was the issue. I was editing the cfg file using my PC's notepad, via data transfer cable. So, just installing a txt editor on my phone and using THAT to change the cfg must have fixed the issue with the line breaks.