making a shortcut on ubuntu

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
metropontikas

making a shortcut on ubuntu

Post by metropontikas »

hi there,

i'm not really great at using linux, but i try my best to learn. now i want to a make desktop shortcut for openmw but don't know how, as i fail to find the directory. i appreciate any help.

thanks a lot for your help and time!
silentthief

Re: making a shortcut on ubuntu

Post by silentthief »

metropontikas wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 15:18 i'm not really great at using linux, but i try my best to learn. now i want to a make desktop shortcut for openmw but don't know how, as i fail to find the directory. i appreciate any help.
I use ubuntu studio so I may be able to help (computer is offline right now, due to moving across country, so bear with me). You should have a "start menu" icon in the top left or bottom left of the screen which allows you to open a listing of ALL your installed programs. If you find the openMW icon, you should be able to click on it, hold it, and drag it to the desktop - which should copy it to desktop. If that does not work, try right clicking on the openMW icon and see if you can access the menu listing properties. If you can, the properties should include the command for the binary, and possibly the starting directory when running it.

Last but not least, if none of the others work, open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T is the shortcut to open terminal) and try to find the binary files using these commands in the terminal:

Code: Select all

cd /
for dir in `ls -A1 / | grep -v proc | grep -v sys`; do echo $dir; find /$dir -type f -iname openmw; done
Before you run this, I can explain what it is supposed to do- it should go to the top level directory with the cd command, and then run a find command in each directory off of that (except for the proc or sys directories, which would fail the find command search and output something to the effect of "directory forbidden" or something, which would fill up the output with garbage). It should output the directory or folder name, and then output the matching file name (in this case, openmw). This should be totally safe, as it is not making ANY changes to your computer. I say that as I recommend a little skepticism in just running untrusted scripts.

The output for this should list the directory (echo the dir) and then show what files are found which pass the test (eg, are named "openmw"). This then should give you the path for the file. Once you find 'openmw' you still have to create the shortcut. You should be able to right click on the desktop and create a shortcut.

Now, if this does not work, I may be of more help when I have an actual linux computer to test on instead of trying to recall this from memory/notes.
metropontikas wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 15:18 thanks a lot for your help and time!
I'm hoping that it works for you, and if it does then you are welcome. If this doesn't help then please reply here and let me know, and I will see if I can be of further assistance.

ST