OpenMW Launcher config file not working properly

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Greendogo

OpenMW Launcher config file not working properly

Post by Greendogo »

Running Vista.

On a fresh install of OpenMW 12.0 I started the launcher and it didn't automatically find the Morrowind data path. So I delete the config file, which is what I think the 12.0 front page announcement is suggesting I do, which causes the launcher to insta-crash on opening. So I replace it and try to open the launcher with administrator privileges thinking it might be a permissions problem, however doing this also instant crashes the launcher. Lastly I delete the config file again and try opening with admin privileges, also with an insta-crash. So what I want to know is, does the automatic data path configuration work on Windows Vista?

Edit: Nothing works on Windows Vista. It crashes at almost every step. I assume this is all permissions issues, however running either the launcher or the openmw.exe with administrator privileges results in a crash. There's an error message in the black console but it vanishes before I can read it, and even before I can hit the print screen button to review it in Paint.
Zini

Re: OpenMW Launcher config file not working properly

Post by Zini »

It should work. But since we did a radical rewrite of the configuration system in 0.12.0, there is always the chance that we have an undiscovered bug. It is also possible that we missed some edge case.

btw. permissions should never be an issue for running OpenMW. If adjusting permissions fixes a problem, then we definitely have a bug in OpenMW.

I suggest running OpenMW from the console. That should give at least some indication what is going wrong.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Greendogo wrote:Running Vista.

On a fresh install of OpenMW 12.0 I started the launcher and it didn't automatically find the Morrowind data path. So I delete the config file, which is what I think the 12.0 front page announcement is suggesting I do, which causes the launcher to insta-crash on opening. So I replace it and try to open the launcher with administrator privileges thinking it might be a permissions problem, however doing this also instant crashes the launcher. Lastly I delete the config file again and try opening with admin privileges, also with an insta-crash. So what I want to know is, does the automatic data path configuration work on Windows Vista?

Edit: Nothing works on Windows Vista. It crashes at almost every step. I assume this is all permissions issues, however running either the launcher or the openmw.exe with administrator privileges results in a crash. There's an error message in the black console but it vanishes before I can read it, and even before I can hit the print screen button to review it in Paint.
Please try the following - press "start" button and in edit box on the bottom of start menu (I don't remember how it's called - "run..." / "find..." ?) write "cmd" and press enter. The console window should appear, now you need to change directory to the place where OpenMW is installed (Program Files), and after that write "omwlauncher.exe" for starting launcher, or "openmw.exe" for starting OpenMW itself. When launcher will crash then all output should be visible.
trikorder

Post by trikorder »

Greendogo wrote:Running Vista.

On a fresh install of OpenMW 12.0 I started the launcher and it didn't automatically find the Morrowind data path. So I delete the config file, which is what I think the 12.0 front page announcement is suggesting I do, which causes the launcher to insta-crash on opening.
The 0.12 announcement page suggests that:
You must remove all old openmw.cfg files in order for the automatic detection of Morrowind installations to work.
So it is talking about OLD cfg files before the install of OpenMW did you do this? Because if I read you correctly you deleted config file after the install. If my "reading" is correct and you deleted the openmw.cfg after install than it is not a surprise that the launcher crashes. If I am wrong then you please follow the steps suggested above by lgromanowski.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

trikorder: I tried launching OpenMW immediately when I installed it without touching the cfg file. That should have worked. Then I deleted it just momentarily out of curiosity if OpenMW would create a new one (WHICH IT SHOULD DO BTW).

Zini: Don't worry, changing permissions did nothing but waste my time ;)

lgromanowski: Yes, that allowed me to see the output in the console.

I had taken a step after installation seemed not to have worked (the launcher was crashing) and created a secondary data files folder (called data files2) and put just the Morrowind.esm and Morrowind.bsa into it, thinking this would surely work. Yes, it worked with the launcher, but not with OpenMW.exe, which still needed music, I think. However, I changed the data directory back to just "Data Files" with all of my plugins and textures. Now the Launcher doesn't work again, but the OpenMW.exe works just fine.
Zini

Post by Zini »

trikorder: I tried launching OpenMW immediately when I installed it without touching the cfg file. That should have worked. Then I deleted it just momentarily out of curiosity if OpenMW would create a new one (WHICH IT SHOULD DO BTW).
Nope. I assume you deleted the global openmw.cfg file. That is something you normally should not touch. This file is never changed, neither by OpenMW nor by the launcher.

When you run the launcher, a local openmw.cfg file is created. And it should also be regenerated when running the launcher (but not OpenMW). I think we are still a bit light on the platform specific documentation (file locations and such), but the whole configuration system is still a work in progress.
I had taken a step after installation seemed not to have worked (the launcher was crashing) and created a secondary data files folder (called data files2) and put just the Morrowind.esm and Morrowind.bsa into it, thinking this would surely work. Yes, it worked with the launcher, but not with OpenMW.exe, which still needed music, I think. However, I changed the data directory back to just "Data Files" with all of my plugins and textures. Now the Launcher doesn't work again, but the OpenMW.exe works just fine.
All very strange. We really need to see what error messages you get when running OpenMW and the launcher from the console.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

At least for the launcher you should have seen a nice error message, unless the data path contains spaces and is not quoted. That's also one of the reasons why you should remove openmw.cfgs from previous versions as the new configuration system needs paths with spaces to be contained in quotes, where older versions used unquoted paths.

Here's an example of how a data= path should look when it contains spaces:

Code: Select all

data="C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files"
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Ok, here's what I currently have. Running the omwlauncher.exe gives this in the console:
c:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.12.0>omwlauncher.exe
Loading config file: ./openmw.cfg... done.

c:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.12.0>

It crashes after "done". Like I said earlier there wasn't really a problem with OpenMW, I seemed to have just not given all it's data files when I created a new "Data Files2" folder. The OpenMW Launcher though is definitely bugged.