[SOLVED] The infamous Mercantile Bug still occurring, despite an implemented fix?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Kerredai

[SOLVED] The infamous Mercantile Bug still occurring, despite an implemented fix?

Post by Kerredai »

So, the MPC page on the wiki says that the Mercantile Fix is implemented -- putting paid to the bizarre behavior of a higher Mercantile skill often resulting in lower prices when selling to a merchant.

I'm still having this behavior in my game, though; I first noticed it with a mage character using a Fortify Mercantile spell, talking to the enchanter in the Balmora mage's guild, but I observed the same issue with Arielle in Seyda Neen on a brand-new character, too -- trying to sell him a Dwarven Spear (from the console, natch), when his Disposition is 100 he offers 217 gold if my Mercantile is 10, but only 110 gold if my skill is 75.

I do have the Price Rebalance series of mods active, but deactivating them and starting a brand-new game only makes the effect slightly more pronounced -- 225 vs 103.

As far as I know those are the only economy-adjusting mods I have installed, so I'm at a loss to think what specific to my setup might be causing this; is there any possibility that the fix that was implemented in August doesn't always work?

Any advice on how to get my game behaving properly, or should I just resign myself to doing silly Drain Mercantile/Drain Fatigue shenanigans?
Last edited by Kerredai on 05 Mar 2019, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
akortunov

Re: The infamous Mercantile Bug still occurring, despite an implemented fix?

Post by akortunov »

Which OpenMW version do you use?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

To clarify: the workaround of the issue will be present in the upcoming 0.45.0 release. It was upcoming for half a year, which is why the wiki page may seem to have been misleading all this time.
Kerredai

Post by Kerredai »

Ah, that explains it, then; I'm on 0.44, since that's what's available on the downloads page.

I guess I could try switching to a nightly build, but since "being way more stable than vanilla" is one of the big draws of OMW in the first place, I'll probably just deal with it.

Thanks, all!
lysol

Re: [SOLVED] The infamous Mercantile Bug still occurring, despite an implemented fix?

Post by lysol »

Thanks for editing the tile by adding [Solved]! I would recommend you to download the latest RC for 0.45.0 though. Should be stable now with the amount of release candidates that has been made for that release.

The nightlies are generally at least as stable as the releases though, but IIRC, there is some bugfix right now that hasn't been merged yet. Within a few days it should be fine again to run a nightly build. Right @Capo?
Capostrophic

Re: [SOLVED] The infamous Mercantile Bug still occurring, despite an implemented fix?

Post by Capostrophic »

There aren't any unmerged regression fixes at the moment but there is a bunch of nasty regressions present. If looking for shadows and other neat 0.46.0 stuff isn't a priority then I would recommend using a 0.45.0 RC.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Capostrophic wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 20:02 There aren't any unmerged regression fixes at the moment but there is a bunch of nasty regressions present. If looking for shadows and other neat 0.46.0 stuff isn't a priority then I would recommend using a 0.45.0 RC.
Right. Yeah, I remembered that there were some stuff that sounded "avoid nightlies atm"-ish.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

Well, at least Jumping still works. :lol: