Game saves

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Wsmith

Game saves

Post by Wsmith »

I had only used OpenMW for TES3MP and some mods, but i rarely play and i quickly uninstalled the mods, but now i want to use OpenMW more regularly and i was wondering if its possible to import old saves from the vanilla saves folder into OpenMW. I have tried running the essimporter.exe and it opens and quickly closes a CMD with no change to the saves, so any help would be appreciated.
terabyte25

Re: Game saves

Post by terabyte25 »

In order to import vanilla saves, you must run essimporter from cmd, since essimporter doesn't have a UI and only just a command line executable. You must run it from cmd (or whatever equivalent) and use 2 arguments (the original .ess and the filename that you want the exported save file to be)

Also, essimporter doesn't support journals.
Wsmith

Post by Wsmith »

terabyte25 wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 01:41 In order to import vanilla saves, you must run essimporter from cmd, since essimporter doesn't have a UI and only just a command line executable. You must run it from cmd (or whatever equivalent) and use 2 arguments (the original .ess and the filename that you want the exported save file to be)

I am not too sure on how to really mess with the cmd, if you can help explain what i would need to do that would be amazing.
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

Wsmith wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 02:10
terabyte25 wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 01:41 In order to import vanilla saves, you must run essimporter from cmd, since essimporter doesn't have a UI and only just a command line executable. You must run it from cmd (or whatever equivalent) and use 2 arguments (the original .ess and the filename that you want the exported save file to be)

I am not too sure on how to really mess with the cmd, if you can help explain what i would need to do that would be amazing.
Basically, all you'd do is open a cmd at the current directory (using shift click & right click in the folder while it's open in File Explorer) and just type

Code: Select all

essimporter [insert ess file name] [insert new omwgame name which you want]
Also, make sure whenever you specify the essfile in arguments, it should be in the current working directory.
Jodiwe

Post by Jodiwe »

To add to teraByte25's answer, if you've got a recent version of Windows 10, it might not have the "Open command window here" option, instead having the "Open PowerShell window here" option. There are tutorials on how to get it back, but you can also use PowerShell to convert the save file. You'd just need to type it in like this:

.\essimporter.exe [insert ess file name] [insert new omwgame name which you want]
Make sure you have the essimporter.exe and your .ess file in the same folder as you Shift + Right - click in. Also, I don't think the ESS importer is very complete.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Jodiwe wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 13:25 [...] Also, I don't think the ESS importer is very complete.
You're correct, Jodiwe. The ESS importer isn't finished yet - we simply have other priorities at the moment.

@Wsmith: If your goal is a serious play-through using OpenMW, better start a new game. However, if you want to test the ESS importer, feel free to proceed and report all bugs under this topic (or at GitLab, but that may annoy the devs). Anyway, have fun with OpenMW!
MariCrazy

Post by MariCrazy »

So here is my problem. I dont understand computers much but i manage to do this on CMD

C:\Users\Mari\Documents\gamesinstall\morroui-windows-47806-0-22a-1589853219>openmw-essimporter.exe -m Indrathe0001.ess -o Indra001.ownsave
Loading config file: C:\Users\Mari\Documents\gamesinstall\morroui-windows-47806-0-22a-1589853219/openmw.cfg
Loading config file: C:\Users\Mari\Documents\My Games\OpenMW/openmw.cfg
Error: unknown record REGN (0x128dc)
Warning: Skipped active spell conversion (not implemented)
I tried to load my save after but he wont appear at all.
can someone help me with this
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Have you put the newly-created OpenMW save in the folder where OpenMW looks for saves? It's documented here: https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... #savegames

It's probably a little easier if you create a new save in OpenMW with a new game and then stick your imported save in the same directory.