Crashing on startup in Arch Linux

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
williamnbc

Re: Crashing on startup in Arch Linux

Post by williamnbc »

Code: Select all

sudo ls -ld /usr/share/games/ /usr/share/games/openmw /usr/share/games/openmw/data
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    4096 Nov 28 19:34 /usr/share/games/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root    4096 Nov 28 19:34 /usr/share/games/openmw
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root william 4096 Nov 25 06:47 /usr/share/games/openmw/data

sudo ls -ld /usr/share/games/ /usr/share/games/openmw /usr/share/games/openmw/data
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    4096 Nov 28 19:34 /usr/share/games/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root    4096 Nov 28 19:34 /usr/share/games/openmw
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root william 4096 Nov 25 06:47 /usr/share/games/openmw/data
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

warning: openmw: /usr/share/games/openmw/data (GID mismatch)
warning: openmw: /usr/share/games/openmw/data (Permissions mismatch)
I suppose it indicates that the /usr/share/games/openmw/data has custom permissions and GID.
Do you have a "william" group, by the way? Maybe it worth to restore default permissions and GID (as for /usr/share/games/openmw folder, for example).
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Reverting the permissions on /usr/share/games/openmw/data is a good idea, though i doubt it will solve the issue.

here's the output from my system for reference :

$ ls -ld /usr/share/games/ /usr/share/games/openmw /usr/share/games/openmw/data
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096  3 dec 00:38 /usr/share/games/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096  3 dec 00:38 /usr/share/games/openmw
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 25 nov 13:47 /usr/share/games/openmw/data
$ 

A clarfication :

In code-blocks $ indicates command are run as normal user, while # means commands need root rights.
It's the convention in archlinux community, no idea if that applies to other distros also.

Looking back at posted console output, the problem appears to be with the folders the mods are in.

$ ld -l /home/william/openmwmods "/home/william/openmwmods/'Illy's Solsteim Rumour Fix'" /home/william/openmwmods/PatchforPurists
P.S. Default setup for new user (since 4 years or so ) is to create a primary group with same name as $USER so i expect OP is a member of william group.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

"/home/william/openmwmods/'Illy's Solsteim Rumour Fix'" 
That's a lot of quote characters.
williamnbc

Post by williamnbc »

When I comment the Rumor fix data file line in the config, the game runs fine. Other mods work, for example Windows Glow. But I get the same error message for robe overhaul.
williamnbc

Post by williamnbc »

Are you telling me to run this command?

$ ld -l /home/william/openmwmods "/home/william/openmwmods/'Illy's Solsteim Rumour Fix'" /home/william/openmwmods/PatchforPurists
When I do, this is the output:

ld: cannot find -l/home/william/openmwmods
ld: cannot find /home/william/openmwmods/'Illy's Solsteim Rumour Fix': No such file or directory
ld: /home/william/openmwmods/PatchforPurists: file not recognized: Is a directory
I want to say I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to help me, and for being patient with my linux incompetence.
If this helps any, I just noticed that for the mods that are giving me trouble, ranger says "not accessible' when I try to view the contents of their data folders.
williamnbc

Post by williamnbc »

I have fixed the problem by changing permissions for each mod's data folder, giving my user william permission to read and write.
lambda

Post by lambda »

"I want to say I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to help me, and for being patient with my linux incompetence."

Excuse my impertinence, but is then Arch the best distro for you? From the About Arch Linux page: "To summarize: Arch Linux is a versatile, and simple distribution designed to fit the needs of the competent Linux® user." Far be it from me to discourage use of Arch, or even pretend to know what is going on inside your head or all your circumstances, and even more so because there are linux newbies using Arch and with very successful stories to tell (and in a sense, I am one of them) but just a thought.

Your mods were installed under your home folder so those subfolders should already have the owner's, that is the user "william", read and write permissions -- unless you created those folders as root, maybe. As a tip, you only need sudo or (su root) for strictly administrative tasks like running pacman -Syu or editing system-wide config files like sudoers or whatever, that usually live in /etc, that only root can access. In particular, if you "think" you need to run any program with a GUI with root permissions you are most likely wrong (like 99.9999% of the time). When in doubt, run as normal, and if it complains about permissions, then you know what to do.
williamnbc

Post by williamnbc »

I get that a lot but I am improving, just slowly. Thanks to openmw I learned about permissions.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

williamnbc wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 01:02 Are you telling me to run this command?

I mistyped , the command was supposed to be ls , not ld , and show the permissions of those folders.
Glad to see you managed to figure out the problem.

You appear to be interested in running (some) windows programs under archlinux .
I suggest you check archwiki pages on wine and steam .
If you prefer GUI apps, lookup Lutris .

edit : very annoying forum auto logoff, good thing i copied the post before clicking submit