[SOLVED] Truly Dark Nights

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Settyness

[SOLVED] Truly Dark Nights

Post by Settyness »

I tried searching for this, but "dark" really throws a wrench into the results. I didn't want to report any bugs, seeing as how lighting is handled quite differently than vanilla, and I'm fairly certain that's the crux of the issue. If this has been talked about before, my apologies.

I used to modify my Morrowind.ini to make 'Ambient Night Color=006,006,006' constant throughout all weather. I would also adjust light to be much brighter within a small radius. Torches were vastly more useful in-hand at night time and towns became tinsy beacons in the ensuing abyss. Traveling at night is a ridiculous idea to me, and spending all day questing in a cavern -- only to emerge at night -- is a ridiculous idea. If that happens, then it's my fault for not planning well enough. I was able to do this in Skyrim with largely the same results.

Making these same modifications to openmw.cfg don't seem to yield nearly the same results. Has anyone else experienced this? I have to assume it's due to the differences in lighting inherent to the engine, I just want to hear what you think.

Edited by Atahualpa: Marking this topic as solved.
BaronPampa

Re: Truly Dark Nights

Post by BaronPampa »

Hi,

I have similar feelings about lighting. I'm satisfied with the Morrowind.ini changes from https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/28552/, followed by tweaking the Morrowind.ini LightAttenuation section to:

[LightAttenuation]
UseConstant=0
ConstantValue=0.382
;
UseLinear=1
LinearMethod=1
LinearValue=1
LinearRadiusMult=1
;
UseQuadratic=1
QuadraticMethod=2
QuadraticValue=1
QuadraticRadiusMult=3
;
OutQuadInLin=0

Nights are dark, light sources are bright. Note that you need to rerun the "import Morrowind.ini" in openmw-launcher.

EDIT: The crux is to modify the morrowind.ini and rerun the importing. I'm not sure how would you go about modifying the openmw.cfg
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Most of those would just end up copied to fallback lines, so, for example,

Code: Select all

[LightAttenuation]
UseLinear=1
would become

Code: Select all

fallback=LightAttenuation_UseLinear,1
kaicohen

Post by kaicohen »

I never knew that dark has any code.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Since the solution presented by AnyOldName3 is known from other mods, I assume that the OP's issue is solved. Marking this topic as solved. Feel free to complain about it... 8-)
Syl

Re: [SOLVED] Truly Dark Nights

Post by Syl »

I'm just darkenin the fog night color and it's really dark.