openmw.cfg issue

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
smokeyninja

openmw.cfg issue

Post by smokeyninja »

Before I get started, using openmw 0.44.0, windows 10. Trying to set things up, but for some reason my openmw.cfg file seems to randomly be deleting stuff that I've put in it. The first time I wrote it off as I must've failed to save, the second time after going back and completely rewriting it I made a backup once I was done, then double checked that the backup and original were configured and saved properly, all was good... opened openmw launcher, it told me there was some issue, I remembered something I needed to change but forgot and concluded that was my problem... opened openmw.cfg and my whole mod order list was gone save morrowind, tribunal, and bloodmoon. Now I'm getting annoyed, but I pull up my backup and at least everything there is right. Fine, whatever, copy and paste over, make the change to both, save both, check that they saved, looks good. Run openmw launcher check that everything looks good, and launch the game, it loads, yay. Exit the game to check that openmw.cfg is intact and mods wiped out again... Open my backup and that too is wiped out.
Now I understand one of it's things is rewriting my openmw.cfg, I don't know why it's wiping my mod list, and above all I have no freaking idea HOW IN THE HELL IT FOUND MY BACKUP TO SCREW IT UP... there's been no other data loss and it only seems to happen when trying to use openmw (didn't try bypassing the launcher)
I guess I'll look on the bright side that OpenMW is running regular morrowind fine, just sad that I'm stuck with it looking like a potato and upset about losing a whole weekend with nothing to show for it
AnyOldName3

Re: openmw.cfg issue

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you've got broken things (such as misspelt setting names or illegal values like a file path for something that wants an integer) they can be deleted. If you re-run the wizard, it'll overwrite the whole file, effectively deleting everything. If you change things in the launcher, those changes will be written to the file. As far as I know, there should be no other way for the file to be rewritten by OpenMW. It's literally impossible that it found your backup, so that's either a mistake you've made or your text editor is doing something stupid.

Can you post a before and after of an openmw.cfg which gets ruined? You obviously don't need a full mod setup for that - just a few changed lines should be fine.
smokeyninja

Re: openmw.cfg issue

Post by smokeyninja »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 00:59 Can you post a before and after of an openmw.cfg which gets ruined?
I ended up wiping everything to start over because that sounded like the best idea for the situation, if I recreate the issue I'll come back with hard info. As for my backup data I'm gonna do recurrent backups with one being external storage so if by some black magic my backup explodes it shouldn't mean losing the time and energy I put into it. Thanks