From Reddit: Recover Mod List via Saved Game

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Ravenwing

From Reddit: Recover Mod List via Saved Game

Post by Ravenwing »

Saw this on reddit:
Restoring from a system reformat and I thought I had redownloaded all the same mods but I must be missing some because I'm getting the "selected master files and plugins do not match the ones used by this save game" message, so I'm wondering if I can get a full list of what the save file was using.
Any idea how to access this? Log file? Seems like a useful feature to have, esp when returning to a saved game after a long time.
Chris

Re: From Reddit: Recover Mod List via Saved Game

Post by Chris »

You can use esmtool with the save file to get its list of masters (the esm, esp, omwaddon files needed for the save game). For instance:

Code: Select all

$ esmtool dump ~/.local/share/openmw/saves/character/save.omwsave
Using default (English) font encoding.
Loading file: /path/to/save.omwsave
Author: 
Description: 
File format version: 1.3
Masters:
  Morrowind.esm, 0 bytes
  Tribunal.esm, 0 bytes
  Bloodmoon.esm, 0 bytes
  TR_Data.esm, 0 bytes
  TR_Mainland.esm, 0 bytes
Just be aware that this will print out a lot of stuff, every record in the save file in addition to this list of needed mods. You can probably use the -t argument to cut it down, but large mod lists can still fill up the command window.

Having some kind of save game inspector in the launcher would be a nice enhancement, though. Show the needed mods right in the GUI, and even point out ones that are missing from the currently enabled mod list or are out of order. An option to launch the game loading that save file immediately (no need for going through the main menu) would be nice, too.
Clem

Post by Clem »

I'm the OP of the Reddit post, thanks so much for your help! What is the easiest way to obtain esmtool? I have openmw installed via the Ubuntu PPA, which does not seem to contain it. Is it possible to compile just esmtool by itself, or must I build the entire project?

Edit: Got it. Just follow the instructions for building from source but in the final step run "make esmtool" instead of just "make" Thanks all
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Is the esmtool interesting enough to include in Debian and Ubuntu? I can package it up if necessary...
Clem

Post by Clem »

I would vote yes. The issue I had seems like it would be a common one.
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

psi29a: Maybe bundle it with the openmw package, because it doesn't make much sense to have esmtool as a standalone, in my opinion :)
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I'll likely do that anyway, along with bsatool... or would it be best to do that with openmw-cs package?
Zini

Post by Zini »

OpenMW package IMO. These tools are more relevant for playing and managing content than for making content.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Roger that, next release (0.45) I will start turning on additional build flags for Debian and Ubuntu builds.