Need help installing meshes...

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
hobocop

Need help installing meshes...

Post by hobocop »

What is the correct way to install meshes? I have tried two different ways, and they do not show up in the data files screen in the OpenMW GUI.I'm trying to different ways, with two different mods, one has the mod folder name and then a Data Files folder and then the Icons/Meshes/Textures folders. The other has no Data Files folder, and just goes straight to the meshes and textures. If that's confusing, one looks like;

C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.44.0\mods\Mesh Fix v1.2.7z\Data Files\Icons

and the other,

C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.44.0\mods\Correct Meshes\Icons"

But neither shows up in OpenMW.

I assume it is because there are no .esp files in these mods, which is what shows up in the list in GUI. But still I can't figure out which of these is wrong, or if both are wrong and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing...

I am able to get mods with .esp files working properly, but I'm really confused about mods that have no apparent .esp
AnyOldName3

Re: Need help installing meshes...

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you're using our multiple data directories feature, the data= lines in your openmw.cfg need to point at the data files directory for each mod, i.e. the ones which contain the Icons/Meshes/Textures subdirectories. For the two you've got here, it looks like you need

Code: Select all

data="C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.44.0\mods\Mesh Fix v1.2.7z\Data Files"
data="C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.44.0\mods\Correct Meshes"
You won't see asset-only mods in the launcher, but if you go somewhere in-game where one of the replaced assets is used, it'll use the modded version.
hobocop

Post by hobocop »

Okay, two more questions;

How do I know I am using the multiple data directories feature? Is this something that needs to be enabled?

Also, what is the correct file path for the meshes, textures, icons folders. Does Open MW look for the folder named Data Files or the folders that you normally find in the Data files folder?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

OpenMW doesn't look for anything. You tell it where to look in openmw.cfg as I just described.

I think you may be missing some critical basic concept here, so I'm not sure how you've previously got mods with an ESP to work. I'm going to point you at this handy guide that should sort you out: https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... stall.html
hobocop

Post by hobocop »

So either of these will work?

data="C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.44.0\mods\Mesh Fix v1.2.7z\Data Files"
data="C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.44.0\mods\Correct Meshes"

I was able to get regular mods working, they show up in the OpenMW GUI. I'm using the link you referenced as a guide, still not sure if I'm doing things correctly or not though.