Sound effects missing with Rapture 3D

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
DDQW

Re: Sound effects missing with Rapture 3D

Post by DDQW »

I contacted Blueripple again here is the answer
Interesting.

We’ll need to dig into this some more, but I had a quick look at the code and it at first glance it does appear we have a bug. There’s handling of the source playing or not, but the code seems to expect the offsets to refer to a buffer that is already present. There may be another reason it thinks it’s okay to make this assumption, but at the moment I can’t see it.

We actually have a minor release in the pipes right now and annoyingly it’s too late to change that, but I’ll get sorting this out into our work queue.

For OpenMW, are folk okay to use the workaround suggested below? (Set the offset after the buffer.) I can probably give a bit of advice if that’s helpful (and if you point me at the right bit of code…).

Thanks for the time and effort you’ve put into investigating and reporting this – now we know about it, we can get it sorted out!

Best wishes,

--Richard
raevol

Post by raevol »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 23:25 really Mesa shouldn't have a huge performance penalty for a change which makes no difference on every other GPU driver that's been tested.
Fortunately Mesa is open source, so maybe it can be fixed! That is a pain though.
Richard wrote: Thanks for the time and effort you’ve put into investigating and reporting this – now we know about it, we can get it sorted out!
I was going to rip on these guys for not following the spec, but they sound really helpful, which is rare! Good on them!
Chris

Post by Chris »

raevol wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 09:05 I was going to rip on these guys for not following the spec, but they sound really helpful, which is rare! Good on them!
Yeah, I've talked with them before and they've been quite helpful. I haven't heard anything from them in regards to OpenAL in quite a while though, so I'm pleasantly surprised to hear they're still updating and fixing things in their driver.

In either case, I'm currently building to test a workaround for this, so I'll be sending a PR for it in a bit if there's no objections.
Chris

Post by Chris »

The fix was merged, so this should work now if you're able to make a build from Git.
DDQW

Post by DDQW »

i will compile it this weekend and give feedback.

thx for the effort :)