Questions about starting development

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
iloveket

Questions about starting development

Post by iloveket »

So I've had an interest in contributing to the open source of this project although I'm not an experienced developer, but I'd like to hopefully learn.

I'm having an issue with setting up a developer's environment; after following the guide on the Wiki, I get this message when I reached this step:

Do I need the installation .exe for these both? Is there a git command I can do? Something else?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I'm not experienced and I couldn't find an answer pertaining to the issue anywhere.
AnyOldName3

Re: Questions about starting development

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You should probably read the 'what you need' section of the guide, too. It mentions that you need to have both CMake and 7zip installed and on your path (and suggests a way of doing so for Chocolatey users, but if you don't use Chocolatey, you'd do exactly what you'd normally do to install software and exactly what you'd normally do to add an application to your path).
iloveket

Post by iloveket »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 21:38 You should probably read the 'what you need' section of the guide, too. It mentions that you need to have both CMake and 7zip installed and on your path (and suggests a way of doing so for Chocolatey users, but if you don't use Chocolatey, you'd do exactly what you'd normally do to install software and exactly what you'd normally do to add an application to your path).
Okay, I've installed 7zip into the path, however I have an issue with Cmake where it's detecting an Uninstall.exe which is causing a conflict and prevents the installation. I've ensured that there's nothing else to do with Cmake in my directory apart from what was cloned to begin with.

The uninstall .exe is 7zip's.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Uninstall 7zip, as you've not installed it into The Path, just a path.

Putting something in The Path means adding the directory where it lives into the environment variable PATH, either by following these instruction to do it forever (https://www.howtogeek.com/118594/how-to ... ne-access/), or by modifying the environment variable directly from within the shell.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I've added some clarification of this to the guide so no one else should get caught out by this in the future.
iloveket

Post by iloveket »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 22:16 I've added some clarification of this to the guide so no one else should get caught out by this in the future.
Thanks for adjusting the guide! If you're still available I have another problem.

I've installed Cmake okay to my PATH but it doesn't seem to be detecting 7z. This is my environment variables window:

When I run the command in Git Bash:

Does it expect me to target the .exe or just the directory of the 7zip folder?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You've not added 7zip to your path. You've created a separate environment variable called '7z'. Just in case it makes it clearer, I've annotated the screenshot:
hint
hint
iloveket

Post by iloveket »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 21:12 You've not added 7zip to your path. You've created a separate environment variable called '7z'. Just in case it makes it clearer, I've annotated the screenshot:

Untitled.png
Thanks for claryifying, I was able to install it okay through git bash although I'm not seeing the solution file?

I did a fresh installation ensuring that I followed the instructions exactly on the guide however I'm not seeing any sort of included solution for VS. Is it feasible just to create one and point it to the folder?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Can you look through the output.log file? I think something broke at some point.
iloveket

Post by iloveket »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 20:11 Can you look through the output.log file? I think something broke at some point.
Thanks for pointing that out, I think I see the issue now.

Code: Select all

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:30 (project):
  Generator

Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64

could not find any instance of Visual Studio.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "C:/openmw-dev/openmw/MSVC2017_64/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
I seem to have VS 2017 installed though? Community edition that is.

My command invocation was for 64-bit since I'm on Windows 10.